Friday, January 15, 2010

The Smith - Visited 1/13/10 2.5 Forks

The Smith 55 3rd Avenue (between 10th and 11th street), New York, NY


So after hearing about The Smith for a while, I finally made it over there for dinner last night with a friend. My first impression was that the space and design was really nice. I loved the subway tiles and kind of old school retro look they had going on.

My friend and I sit down at a table for two, that I thought was way too small. I literally had my bag on my lap and had to pile my other stuff on the floor next to me. The drink list looked impressive and the cocktails ($11) all sounded delicious. I had the Moscow Mule ($11), vodka, ginger beer and lime. It was good but again, too small. My friend had a glass of white wine ($8) that came in a squat glass that she swore tasted like apple juice. The menu is mostly Americana food ranging from big salads, burgers, to fish and pasta. I settled on the burger because I had a hankering for fries. I ordered the burger with the works ($15) and my friend had a small Mediterranean salad ($9) and side of fries ($5). My burger came on a soft brioche bun, bacon, cheese, lettuce and onions. It was pretty good but not worth $15 - I mean, how hard is it to really cook a bad burger? The place was definitely hopping and crowded when we left and I hear they have a good brunch, but after spending $31 on just a drink and burger, I left feeling like I had some how not gotten my money's worth.

No comments: