Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Toast Visited 5/24/10 3.5 Forks

Toast 2046 N Damen Ave., (between Dickens Ave & Mclean Ave), Chicago, IL 60647

Toast has always been one of my favorite Chicago brunch places. So it didn't seem right to leave Chicago without hitting up Toast before I left. It was great to go on a weekday b/c on the weekend it tends to be a mob scene. But surprisingly, there were several full tables on a Monday morning.

I was torn between the salmon omelet and the veggie eggs benedict. Since I had had so much benedict this weekend, I decided to go for the salmon omelet, but then after I ordered, it turns out they were out of salmon! Damn it. Back to the benedict! This one felt "healthier" b/c it had spinach and artichoke heart ($11), but let's be real, it was still covered in fatty sauce. Comparing it to Jane's, I thought Jane's was a bit better b/c this one had too much artichoke in it but it was still a good brunch meal. The spinach was cooked well but it was the giant leafier kind so it was hard to eat it without feeling I was taking on too much in one bite. Dan got the french toast orgy ($10 for a sampling of every kind of french toast), which came out and looked amazing. It was COVERED in fresh fruits, granola, and yogurt. I took one bite (the strawberry one) and it was so sweet but delicious. However, I could tell that Dan was starting to get sweetness overload and he wasn't able to finish the mexican chocolate one, which he surprisingly liked the least.

I have to mention that the service was almost too overzealous. I would take 1-2 sips of water and they immediately re-filled it and Dan was getting constant re-fills to his coffee to the point that he was getting annoyed b/c it was ruining his coffee to cream/sugar ratio. But I guess there could be worse things to complain about. Total bill ~$29 for 2

No comments: