Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tortilla Flats Visited 8/16/10 2 Forks

Tortilla Flats  767 Washington St, (between 12th St & Bethune St), New YorkNY 10014


Ahh, Tortilla Flats.  It's almost a New York institution (having been featured in Sex and the City) and everyone who's lived here long enough has had some bad/blurry memory of being there.  My friend Lav was in town and was thinking of Mexican food.  We both keep to seem to forget that there are very few, if any, decent and quality tex/mex places in new york.  I didn't have time to look up places before I met her and it was pouring down rain, so we just decided to give this old place a try. 


It's definitely a place for your youth.  It's loud and decorated like someone threw up x-mas lights and bad Mexican art, but sometimes that's kind of cute.  I think most people mainly (and rightfully) go for drinks/happy hour.  Food is kind of in the back of their minds.  Unfortunately for us, we were the reverse and had food on our minds instead of drinks.  I ordered a red sangria ($5) and the carne asada ($13) while Lav ordered the nachos (that we split) and a cheese enchilada.  


I was excited for my sangria but when I tasted it something was off.  And I couldn't put my finger on what was weird but it just wasn't very tasty.  Next came the nachos, which were not your usual nachos.  They were more like baked nachos covered in cheese and a small layer of beans in it.  They were fine but I would have liked extra stuff on it like tomato, lettuce, sour cream...you know, the normal/usual stuff you get on nachos??  Then our food came out shortly afterwards.  My dish was basically very large chunks of meat wrapped in tortillas served with rice and beans...a naked burrito if you may.  There was no cheese, sour cream, guac, or anything else.  And the meat was hard to chew and took quite a few cuts to get all the way through.  For the price I paid, I expect a full on burrito with the works, not just the basics.  I didn't try Lav's dish, but it looks very very cheesy and she didn't seem overly happy with it. 


All in all, I think it's one of those places where you can come and "check off the box" that you came here, but don't expect to have good food...and I would maybe stick to beers and margaritas too. 

No comments: