Monday, September 6, 2010

Xi'an Famous Foods Visited 8/31/10 3.5 Forks

Xi'an Famous Foods  81 St Mark's Pl, (between 2nd Ave & 1st Ave), New York, NY 10003

Xi'an has been written about in many foodie blogs and I was excited when they opened a branch in the East Village so that I don't have to trek to Flushing to try it.
 
It's not really a restaurant...there are 2 tables and then a small wall lined with about 4 stools, so it's definitely more of a take out type of place, but if you really wanted to sit down, you could. The last time I walked past this place there was a line out the door, but this time, I went after work and there was only 1 person in line.  They are famous for the liang pi (translation: cold skin noodles) and the lamb burger, so I decided to get both.  If you are intimidated by ordering there, don't worry, they have a wall full of pictures and you can order by letter and number (i.e. A1).  The kitchen is pretty small and you can see right into it, so you know that the food is fresh. 
 
They were kind enough to put the hot chili sauce in a separate bag so that when I carried it out, it wouldn't splash all over the place.  I tried the lamb burger first ($2.50)...it's basically a bunch of finely chopped up lamb meat with spices and large chunks of pepper.  It was good but my wasn't blown away as many bloggers have described their experience.  I actually thought that the bun that they used (it's like a thin white bao) was a bit dry and there wasn't enough meat in it.  But for $2.50, it's definitely a good value and I would get it again.
 
However, the liang pi noodles ($4.50) were amazing.  This is what I can see what people were raving about.  There is something that is just ridiculously addicting about it.  It's a bunch of cold thick gelatinous noodles mixed with cucumbers, cilantro, bean sprouts, and something that looks like tofu, but it isn't.  It's then coated with this spicy red chili sauce and the result is amazing.  I didn't even get it super spicy but it was definitely just enough spice to make me feel the heat all over my mouth, but the cold cucumber and bean sprouts perfectly offset the heat.
 
While I wasn't completely overwhelmed by the experience, I did enjoy the food and for $7 total, there is probably no better deal out there.

No comments: