Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dinosaur BBQ Visited 10/31/10 4 Forks

Dinosaur BBQ  700 W 125th St, (between 12th Ave & W Riverside Dr), New York, NY 10027

 I have been wanting to go to Dinosaur BBQ for years, but due to its location I have never been.  When BBE had a 30% discount, I finally convinced myself that it was time to go.


Since Dan and I are not Halloween people, we thought it would be a good idea to "celebrate" the holiday eating BBQ (mental note, NEVER try to drive through the city on Halloween.  We nearly lost our minds trying to get home).  We immediately compared our experience here to Fette Sau.  Fette Sau is like the girlfriend/boyfriend that you love and you know you can't do any better, but sometimes you can't help but look around sometimes.  Every time I mention another BBQ place, Dan complains because he thinks we've already found the holy grail.  The ambiance of Dinosaur BBQ was pretty cool, it's kind of like a road side restaurant with a lot of wood paneling.  Luckily, we made reservations a few weeks ago, so there wasn't much of a wait. Otherwise, I heard that it was upwards of an hour for a table for 2.  

The menu is quite expansive and it has a lot of combination plates with different kinds of meats.What I like about Fette Sau is that there's no set plate of food. You can just pick whatever you want and make your own combos.  But the combos at Dinosaur BBQ had a good mix of food and were very decently priced that I wasn't too upset.  We got the pork and brisket plate with creole potato salad and mac and cheese as well as the Three Hombres (ribs, pulled pork, brisket with 2 sides) with collard greens and baked beans.  The food came out relatively quickly and by the looks of our sides I'm pretty sure that they just have a vat of them in the kitchen that they dole out.  But besides that, the BBQ itself was pretty damn good.  I really liked the sauce that it came with, it was not too sweet and really was a great compliment to the meat.  I thought the pork was really flavorful and moist and the brisket basically just tasted like fatty goodness.  The ribs were also quite impressive in that at the end you get a completely clean bone.  If there is still meat on your rib at the end of the meal, than it wasn't cooked correctly.  The one thing that this place does have a leg up on to Fette Sau is that they had a nice variety of sides and except for the beans, they were all pretty good.  They don't call this place Dinosaur BBQ for nothing, at the end of the meal we basically had an entire meal leftover and there was absolutely no room for dessert, although they looked good and were pretty cheap (all around $5-8).  
All in all, I'm really happy that we went and I thought that the food was good and very reasonably priced.  It's way better than Hill Country and Wildwood and if it was close to Fette Sau, I would probably split my time between both of them.  Total bill after the discount was $45 with tip and tax.

No comments: