Sunday, October 17, 2010

Red Hook Lobster Pound Visited 10/17/10 3.75 Forks

Red Hook Lobster Pound  284 Van Brunt St, (between Verona St & Visitation Pl), Brooklyn, NY 11231

 I have always been a sucker for lobster rolls. I mean, how can you NOT love them? I had seen the Red Hook Lobster Pound at various Brooklyn outings such as the Brooklyn Flea (where I actually had one) and Brooklyn Bridge Park.  But I had never visited the actual "pound", so I was thrilled when BBE had a 30% discount for dine-in only.  
When they say dine-in, you should know that it's really just a bunch of picnic tables next door (you have to actually exit the space where you order and walk to the space next door).  The menu at the pound is pretty limited: 2 types of lobster rolls for $15/each (Maine version which is the typical cold meat with mayo or CT style which is warm lobster drenched in butter), shrimp rolls $8, or you can get the lobster dinner for $25 which is a 1 1/2 lb lobster with corn and cole slaw.  You can also order lobster salad and buy buns there to make your own lobster rolls.  Dessert wise they offer whoopie pies ($3).  I knew that one roll wouldn't be enough for me, so Dan and I each got a Maine roll and then split a CT style roll and a whoopie pie.  
First there is a good chunk of lobster meat and they are big pieces, not small string-y bits of the lobster.  I started with the CT style first and it was delicious and warm and extremely soaked in butter...and the bun was also very butter-y and well toasted.  I should also mention that the rolls come with a small bag of chips and a pickle.  I really liked this version although I'm sure my doctor would tell me to only have it once a year.  I moved on to the Maine style next, and it was also very lobster-y, but I didn't like the celery in it.  I did like the thinly sliced scallion but the size of the roll which definitely more of a snack than a full meal.  I think for $15 they were great rolls but I would have liked something more substantial than just chips for dinner.  Of course when you go to a place like the Pearl Oyster Bar or Mary's Fish Camp the rolls are bigger and come with fries, but they are also $27+.  But what really put me over the edge for dinner was the whoopie pie, which is just two pieces of dense chocolate cake sandwiched around marshmallow fluff.  It was good, but totally sat like a brick in my stomach afterwards.  All in all, I think it's a cute informal place and they had mentioned that they were going to expand their menu soon, which I think is a great idea.  Total bill $36.50.

No comments: