Friday, December 3, 2010

Silver Fountain Visited 11/25/10 3.75 Forks

Silver Fountain  13533 Connecticut Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20906


Everytime I go home there is a set list of restaurants that I go to, so this time I thought I would shake it up and try places where I have never been to before.  My mom had been to Silver Fountain before and said that many people considered it the best dim sum in town.  So of course I had to try it. 

It's located in the Aspen Hill strip mall and a bit hard to find.  Once inside, it's your typical chinese restaurant.  Huge dining room jam packed with thousands of tables.  We went on Thanksgiving morning a(leave it to Chinese people to be open on a holiday) and it was totally full.  We had to wait about 30 minutes to get a table.  We were seated in the corner, which I generally don't like because sometimes the carts forget to come to your table, which was exactly what happened.  Actually, I'm not sure if it was more the fact that no carts were coming than they were forgetting about us.  A good 15-20 minutes went by before the first cart came and for a while it was the same dishes being circulated around.  We had heard that the steamer was broken, which is a big deal since most of the dumplings need to be steamed.  But once the carts were back in action, the food came quickly.  We got the usual line up of suspects: shrimp crepe, shumai, shrimp dumplings, shrimp balls with a crab claw, sticky rice in a leaf, turnip cake, chicken's feet and a few other veggie and meat dumplings.  I will say that I thought that the shumai and steamed dumplings were much better and fresher tasting than the usual place I go to in Gaithersburg while some other stuff like the shrimp crepe tasted the same.

The problem with usual place that I go to is that the food is hit or miss. Sometimes it's fine but there have been times where the food is lukewarm to a bit cold.  I could definitely tell the difference here and while it's a bit further away, I would not hesitate to come back here again, especially when the prices were about the same.  Total bill for tons of food was around $45 for 3 people.

No comments: