Monday, January 17, 2011

Osteria Morini Visited 1/17/11 4 Forks

Osteria Morini  218 Lafayette St., (between Kenmare St & Spring St), New York, NY 10012

 Most people who know me know that I usually don't go for Italian food when I go out to eat.  Don't get me wrong, it's not because I don't love Italian, I actually really love it, but it's kind of this feeling that you can kind of make Italian to some extent at home on your own but it's almost impossible to make Thai, sushi or other types of food on your own at home.  But for some reason, I had suggested this place to Lav when we were trying to meet up for brunch.  And I'm really glad I did because it re-ignited my love for really good Italian food.

We had originally wanted to go for brunch on Sunday but since we had Monday off from work, I thought it would be more fun to go out to a nice lunch on a weekday.  But then when I got there I realized that they wouldn't have the brunch menu, so I was kind of bummed about that.  But it actually turned out to be ok.  The decor of the restaurant is actually pretty casual/rustic feel.  I have read a bunch of stuff about Michael White's other restaurants in NYC and this one seems to be the least stuffy and more up my alley.  The lunch menu doesn't have as many brunch-y/egg types dishes on the menu, but right before I was going to order I caught sight of the baked eggs, polenta and ragu sauce dish ($17).  I ordered that and Lav got the gnocchi ($16), which is always a good choice.  They had a bunch of other really good appetizers around $11+, so if I got one with getting a main dish, lunch would have run me $30+, which is a bit steep, so I opted for just my baked eggs.  I'm actually really glad I didn't get anything else because my meal was so freakin good and filling that I probably wouldn't have had room for everything else.

The baked eggs were AM-AZING.  It came with 3 eggs (2 of which were running and delicious and the 3rd one was a bit overcooked, but hey 2/3 isn't so bad) on a bed of super creamy and cheesy polenta.  I am a huge fan of polenta and would eat it with almost anything.  It was then covered in a meat/ragu sauce and it was just all so god damn good.  Even the lightly toasted bread they served with my meal was perfect.  Lav's gnocchi was also really good and even though I didn't eat all of it, it didn't seem overly starchy and filling.  Based on the fact that Lav took my leftover bread crusts to sop up her entire dish makes me think it was pretty great dish.  For dessert we got the gelato: 2 scoops of  biscotti-flavor and 1 scoop of tangerine.  The biscotti actually tasted just like a biscotti and was extremely creamy in texture.  Meanwhile the tangerine was perfectly tangy and has more of the sorbet like texture.  Both were really good and it was even better mixing the two together! I ended up taking a bit of my food home to go, but then Lav and I started walking around the city and all I could think about was the delicious food burning a hole in my bag.  My one complaint was that the service was quite slow.  Our waitress was super nice and friendly but one of my pet peeves in a restaurant is if they let my water glass go empty for a while and this was the case here.  Sometimes it's nice to be just left alone in a restaurant but at times I felt like I was constantly scanning the restaurant for our waitress, which is annoying.  Total bill without tip $48 for two.   

No comments: