Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pure Thai Shophouse Visited 1/7/11 4 Forks

Pure Thai Shophouse  766 9th Ave, (between 51st St & 52nd St), New York, NY 10019

 Ahh, the first review of the year turned out to be a good one.  I had read about Pure as part of the current trend of really good and authentic Thai restaurants (Kin Shop and Lotus of Siam as the other few).  The restaurant is in Hell's Kitchen which has tons of really great cheap Thai restaurants.  But unlike Kin Shop this place is not expensive and has more of a cute cozy noodle shop feel as opposed to a fancy upscale place.  
When I first walked in they greeted me with Sa-Wat-Dee which is hello in Thai and it immediately brought me back to Thailand.  Plus the fact that there was an open kitchen in the middle of the restaurant with giant pots of sauces really made me think of the street food in Thailand.  The menu there is simple yet there is a lot of variety.  It's mostly appetizers and then a bunch of stir-fry and noodle dishes.  I had a pretty hard time deciding what I wanted...they had a dish called Krabi noodles that I was so curious about since I was just in Krabi but there was a big disclaimer on the menu saying that it was NOT for the faint of heart and no returns were accepted.  Given my experience with spicy food in Thailand, I decided that probably wasn't for me.  Instead I chose the fried rice with lump crab meat ($10) and a fried egg ($2 extra) and Aarti got a broad noodle dish with tofu ($9) and we both got thai iced tea ($3.50/each).

The service was super friendly and fast.  The iced tea came out in these super cute mini vases with crushed ice and was pretty tasty but not too sweet.  Our main dishes came out and the portions were pretty generous.  While I didn't see a ton of crab at first, when I was trying to pick out a bite for Aarti to eat I started to realize that it was pretty mixed in there and I could definitely taste its subtlety.  I was worried that the fried egg wasn't runny inside but once I cut it open the yolk was very nice and runny and it immediately brought me back to the fried rice in Thailand that all had fried eggs on it. My first bite was great and thought it was definitely one of the better fried rice dishes I've had in the city.  It wasn't greasy at all and had a lot of great flavor to it.  Aarti said she liked her dish but that it had a slightly overwhelming citrus taste but the noodles looked very wet and saucy and the tofu pieces were quite large. 

There were tons of other dishes on the meal that I would love to try and the best part of the meal was that the total bill was $30.   

No comments: