Thursday, February 17, 2011

Alcove Cafe and Bakery Visited 2/14/2011 4 Forks

Alcove Cafe and Bakery 1929 Hillhurst Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027

 The Alcove is what I envision the quintessential LA cafe to look like.  It looks a lot like many of the super trendy places in LA with lots of outdoor patio seating filled with people in sunglasses.  I wasn't sure if the food would be good at a place like this, but I really loved my dish and similar to my other California eating experiences the food had a more healthy focus. 

The menu is pretty expansive and has lots and lots of big salads, sandwiches, melts, burgers, paninis as well as breakfast items such as omelets and pancakes and a very large variety of baked goods.  I was having a hard time deciding what I wanted...I had envisioned myself getting a healthy salad and eating it outside in the fresh Cali air (like most of the struggling actors, screenwriters, etc surrounding us), but instead I got swayed by the Blackened Salmon Sandwich with a house salad ($14) and Vivi got the special southwest chicken quesadilla.  You pay for your food inside and then they give you a number on stamd and they come by to drop off your food.  The food came out relatively quickly and I was very impressed with the size of my salmon sandwich.  It was huge, but it wasn't just because the bun was large but because there was actually a lot of salmon inside.  It was perfectly cooked and it came with arugula and a side of chipotle mayo (it wasn't very spicy) and the house salad was pretty hefty as well (with the vinaigrette dressing already on the side).  But the best part was that it came with an entire half of an avocado.  I love that everything in LA had avocado because I could just live off of avocado dishes for the rest of my life.  Meanwhile Vivi's dish was bursting at the seams with chicken.  It looked like they stuffed an entire cut up chicken in her dish.

I wish they had more of these places in NYC, but I get that since the weather sucks for 3-4 months a year here, it's not really an option.  But this meal definitely made me feel like I was part of the "in crowd" in Cali.  

No comments: