Sunday, February 27, 2011

Samurai Mama Visited 2/26/2011 3.5 Forks

Samurai Mama  205 Grand St., Brooklyn, NY 11211

 Samauri Mama is by the same owners as Bozu in Williamsburg and you can definitely tell with one look at the menu.  It's got a similar feeling of some sushi but really its focus in on non-sushi Japanese food.  The main focus here is udon noodles, which I was excited about because I love a good hearty bowl of udon noodles. 


The decor is basically one giant communal table with a few booths along the edge of the wall.  We ordered a veggie gyoza to start ($6) and Dan got the special seafood curry udon ($14) and I got the pork belly and scallion udon ($9.50) with a side of mushroom topping ($2).  The gyoza came out and at first glance it didn't look like gyoza at all because it had this thin layer of a crepe-like batter on top of it. I guess it means that they make them fresh? I don't know the point of presenting it that way, but the gyoza's were good with a nice thin layer of skin and it was served with not only a light soy dipping sauce but this nice thick sesame oil sauce too.  Next came our noodles in these lovely large white bowls.  My mushroom topping actually wasn't put into the soup but in a small separate dish.  It was basically a small handful of enoki mushrooms which are my favorite but it was definitely not worth $2 as it was probably 2 mouthfuls of mushroom.  The broth of mine was nice and light and not too salty.  There were probably 3 pieces of pork belly and they were a bit on the small side.  The actual noodles were nice and thick and dough-y but I could have used some more noodles because I was done in about 10 minutes.  I prefer my noodle soup dishes to come with a bit more stuff in it than just the noodles and 1 topping.  Where was the egg or some veggies? I guess those are all separate charges, which is a bit ridiculous.  Dan's noodle came with much more stuff in it.  There were about 3-4 shrimp and 3-4 smallish mussels.  But the broth was insanely spicy.  I could barely finish one spoonful, but it was definitely packed full of curry flavor.  

The service was totally fine and they were very nice and attentive.  The total bill was $50 without tip but including 2 glasses of sake.  I like the concept of this place but feel like I needed a little a bit more for my money to really enjoy it.

No comments: