Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hundred Acres Visited 3/13/2011 3.75 Forks

Hundred Acres 38 MacDougal St., New York, NY 10012

 With a name like Hundred Acres, how could they not be a cute brunch place? I had actually never heard of this place before but Aarti had mentioned that she had recently had a great meal there, so I was definitely down with trying it out.  It's owned by the same people as Five Points and Cookshop and you can tell that they are all related sibling restaurants.  It's got that local/organic/farm to table/cute American restaurant feel to it. 

The decor of the restaurant was very homey but yet the actual space was pretty big. We sat in the very bright atrium in the back of the restaurant and it kind of made me feel like I was at a wedding under a white tent.  The menu has a lot of great sounding brunch dishes from pancakes, donuts, biscuits, scrambles and poached eggs dishes.  I got the sausage and eggs ($15), Dan got the chiliquilas ($12), Aarti got the goat cheese bread pudding ($13) and Will got the pancakes ($11) with a side of jalapeno cheese grits ($6) and the table split the warm cream biscuits with homemade spreads ($7).  The biscuits came out first and it was 2 large fluffy-looking biscuits and one small slice of banana nut bread and then it came with sweet butter, apple butter and some kind of fruit jelly.  The biscuit was fine, I wasn't blown away by it. It was a bit dry on the outside and too crumbly but the inside was fine.  I didn't try the banana nut because I hate nuts, but it didn't look like anything special.  Meanwhile the actual homemade spreads and butter were delicious.  The apple butter literally tasted like smooth applesauce.  Our dishes came out shortly after wards.  My sausage and eggs were very beautifully plated, it was almost too fancy for brunch.  You could tell the sausage was homemade and it was flavored well and I was glad that they were fairly thick in size.  Now to the eggs...anyone who knows me or reads this blog frequently knows that I am very strict on my poached eggs and these were poached perfectly! As soon as you cut into them, the yolk was super runny but yet the whites still maintained their structure.  The few disappointing parts of my dish were that it was supposed to be on a bed of grits but there was barely any grits and the part that I did taste wasn't cheesey enough.  The dish also came topped with watercress, which I didn't eat but I did end up tasting a small leaf and it was so grassy tasting, I thought it was totally unnecessary on the dish.  The pork jus sauce also didn't add anything to the dish either, it just made everything too wet.  I tasted Dan's chilaquiles and it was fine, but it was a bit off with the pickled beets on top.  Will's pancake didn't come with syrup, which I thought was weird. I mean who eats pancakes without syrup?! And they looked a bit flat and non-fluffy and the fruit seemed like an after thought tossed on there.  But he said they tasted pretty decent. I didn't try the goat cheese bread pudding but it did look quite tasty.


Meanwhile, the service was a bit off.  Our waiter just didn't seem very interested in us and then when the bus boys came to take our plates, they kept asking if it was ok to take our plates when they were completely clean.  I am usually a bit annoyed by people who ask if they can take my plate when it is very obvious that there is nothing on there. But I guess it's just polite to ask just in case but I did find it weird.  Plus we had to ask about the side of grits as it didn't come out at the same time as our meal and later our waiter brought our check without asking us first which made it feel like they were rushing us out. Overall, it was a very cute place and I can see why it's a popular place for brunch but there were still a few kinks to work out. Our total bill was $100 with tip which is a bit high for just brunch without cocktails.

No comments: