Sunday, March 27, 2011

Roberta's Visited 3/27/2011 4 Forks

Roberta's 261 Moore St., (between White St & Bogart St) Brooklyn, NY 11206

 Roberta's has been getting tons of buzz lately as a hipster haven.  To be honest, I didn't get that vibe at all when I went but maybe it's because I went for brunch.  The clientele was no more hipster than your typical Brooklyn restaurant.  Maybe it's a bit different during dinner?  The location of this restaurant is literally in the middle of nowhere.  Now I've been to Bushwick before but this is in a totally industrial area with almost nothing around it. It's really easy to completely drive/walk past it.  But once you walk in you're totally surprised by it.  It's a huge room with a bunch of communal tables and despite it's size it gave off this really warm feeling to it. 


The brunch menu has a few brunch-y items and then a few pizza selections.  Usually I like my brunch meal to include egg so I was really leaning towards the soft scrambled egg with hen of the woods mushroom, but this place is known of its pizza, so I felt like I really had to give a pizza a try.  So I got the bee sting pizza ($13) which came with tomato, mozzarella, sopressata, fresh basil and then topped with honey.  Dan got the pork belly ($13) which came on a bed of polenta, poached egg and pecorino.  We both got a coffee (mine was iced and Dan's was hot) and usually coffee is nothing to write about but here they don't give you sugar but a bottle of sugar water instead.  I don't know if it really made my coffee taste much differently but mentally it made me not love my coffee as much.


The pizza came out first and it was steaming HOT.  And of course I was so anxious to eat that I just grabbed a slice and the oil on the pizza dripped on my hand and it was incredibly painful.  My bad.  Now I usually don't love thin crust pizza, but this one I must say was pretty damn good.  You could just tell from looking at it that all the ingredients were super fresh and I think they do grow a lot of the herbs and stuff in their backyard.  There was lots of oozy fresh mozzarella and chopped tomato on it.  The sopressata on top of it is was thinly sliced and looked like pepperoni but with a definite spicy kick.  The honey was a nice touch and not very overpowering.  What was really great about the pizza was the dough/crust.  It was thin but still had a dough-y consistency.  I had the entire pizza, crust and all, which almost never happens unless I am drunk. As for Dan's dish,  I had one bite and I got a nice piece of pure fat and I thought the polenta had a nice creamy consistency.  I didn't get to taste the egg but it was poached perfectly and gave the polenta a very yolk-y topping.  Dan thought the dish was missing something but couldn't pin point what it was but judging by the fact that he ate the entire dish, I'm not so sure he didn't like it as much as he lead on.


I had looked at our table mates' food and they had the fried egg and duck hash dish and the pancake and they both looked tasty.  The eggs were fried with a nice running yolk and the pancake looked huge and fluffy, so it looks like even if you don't get the pizza there, you can still have a great meal there.  I would totally go back there for dinner and I heard that in the summer they open the outdoor patio, so look out for me there in a few months. Total bill $39 without tip.

No comments: