Friday, May 13, 2011

Ebisu Visited 5/08/2011 3.5 Forks

Ebisu 1283 9th Ave., (between Irving St & Lincoln Way), San Francisco, CA 94122

 I was super excited to try this place because it had gotten great reviews on Yelp.  SF is known for its great fresh seafood and sushi is no exception.  I was actually a huge fan of the neighborhood...it seemed really low key and laid back and not in the trendy parts of the city.  It kind of reminded me of Brooklyn a bit. 

The inside of the restaurant was quite nice.  Fancy but not to the point where you felt like you were out of place in jeans and flip flops.  We started the meal with scallops wrapped in bacon (not very Japanese but who doesn't like bacon wrapped anything?).  They were a bit small and just ok.  I mean it's hard to go wrong with scallops and bacon but there was nothing that wow'd me.  We then ordered 4 different rolls.  The #29 roll ($13), the cherry blossom roll ($11), the QP roll ($7) and the crunchy roll ($8).  The QP roll was supposed to come spicy but it barely registered on my spice palate.  I did like that it had very fresh and large pieces of raw scallop in the middle but there was hardly any mayo or spice.  Next the cherry blossom roll came with lots of large salmon roe on top, which I personally love but Dan wasn't a fan of.  I will say that there was so much roe that it was pretty salty with each bite.  The crunchy roll came wrapped in a thin soybean paper and it was made with a bit too much rice.  Each mouthful was like eating an entire spoonful of carbs.  Lastly the #29 roll was just huge (pictured).  I forgot that the menu said that it was yellowtail, tuna, and salmon deep fried.  I just saw the fish part and totally blocked out that it was fried.  I wish that I had paid more attention because the deep fry totally made it taste not fresh and clean like what I normally associate with sushi.  It tasted warm and cooked, which is not what I like to think of when I have sushi.  


Overall, it would be a great neighborhood joint and they apparently also own the sushi place across the street, so I could see myself coming here often if I lived nearby.  But it's definitely not a destination sushi place, which is what I thought it would be.

No comments: