Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hill Country Chicken Visited 5/21/2011 3 Forks

Hill Country Chicken 1123 Broadway, (between 25th St & 26th St), New York, NY 10010

I hadn't really planned on going to Hill Country Chicken for lunch today.  I had originally wanted to check out the food stalls at Madison Square Park but it was pretty crowded and there was no where to sit, so Dan and I decided to give this place a visit.  We both didn't like Hill Country BBQ, so we were a bit weary of going here, but how hard is it to get fried chicken wrong?

The inside of this place is sort of like a 50's style Southern kitchen, which was cute.  The place is not really a restaurant in the sense that you don't sit down and order.  You order your food at the counter and seat yourself, so it's a very informal place.  We ordered the Country Club ($10), 5 piece Texas Tenders ($12) and a small side of corn salad ($2.50).  The tenders were huge and very meaty, which was a pleasant surprise.  While it was fried, you could definitely taste the juicy chicken in it.  While the tenders were good, they weren't anything really to write home about.  It was like getting the chicken tenders at work but one notch above it in quality.  Meanwhile the country club sandwich was actually quite delicious.  It was a nice thick piece of juicy fried chicken in a square shape, with buttermilk ranch dressing, lots of guacamole, tomato and all on a soft potato bun.  I almost wished Dan and I weren't sharing this because I would have rather eaten the whole thing myself!  It's a combination of all the good things Southern.  On the other hand, the corn salad was a serious bust.  I am a huge huge fan of a good fresh corn salad (and can't wait for the farmers market to start selling corn again), but this corn tasted old and dry.  It didn't have any fresh crunch to it at all. It was such a disappointing side.

I definitely enjoyed my meal here more than my meal at Hill Country and really liked the sandwich.  The chicken tenders were enjoyable but for $12, I'm not sure if it was really worth my money.  And at  $10 for my sandwich,  I wished it came with a side instead of me having to order one.  But I'm glad I checked this place out and if I'm ever in the area again, I would consider it but only if Shake Shack and the food stalls nearby were totally crowded.  Total bill $28.  

No comments: