Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mables Smokehouse and Banquet Visited 5/13/2011 3.5 Forks

Mables Smokehouse and Banquet 44 Berry St., (between 12th St & 11th St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

Inevitably, any BBQ place in NYC will be compared to Fette Sau, there's just no avoiding that.  So far I haven't found any place that compares and Mables is no exception.  Honestly, if Fette Sau didn't exist this place probably would have ranked better in my mind.  The nice thing about this place was that it's a slightly bigger space than Fette which means that there's less of a chance of eating and standing at the same time (which is what happened last time I went to Fette).  

The menu is a bit more limited than Fette.  While Fette has lots of different kinds of meat from ribs, brisket, pork belly, pulled pork, pastrami, sirloin tip, and sausages (and ordered by weight), there were only 3 kinds of meat at Mables: brisket, st. louis style ribs, and pulled pork (fixed order, not by weight).  The one thing that Mable does have going in its favor is that it has a 1-2 more sides than Fette Sau.  That was always my gripe with Fette was that their sides were limiting and quite honestly not that great.  Here you have choices of mac and cheese, potato salad, cornbread, baked beans, collard greens, and corn.  Dan and I sat at the bar and got the Deluxe Platter ($28) which comes with 3 meats, 3 sides, small cole slaw, wonder bread, and pickles.  For sides we chose, mac and cheese, potato salad and cornbread.  When the food came out, it just looked like a $hit ton of food.  There were 4 fairly large ribs, 3 slices of brisket, and pulled pork.  I immediately went for the mac and cheese and it tasted exactly the mac and cheese that comes out of a box, which taste-wise, isn't necessarily terrible, but I don't necessarily want to pay for it at a restaurant.  The potato salad was good, not too heavy on the mayo and I didn't taste a trace of celery.  The big let down sides-wise was the cornbread.  I don't know how it's possible to make cornbread taste bland but this had absolutely no taste to it.  But on the the more important stuff, the meat.  I actually thought the brisket was pretty good, not too fatty, but Dan seemed to have wanted it to just fall apart without using a knife.  The piece I had barely required a knife, but the piece Dan got was a pretty thick cut that I could see needed a little bit of knife work.  I then tried the pulled pork which was already covered in BBQ sauce (although they did give you a small cup of sauce on the side.  Whereas at Fette Sau they have a large variety of sauces in squeeze bottles at each table).  I thought the pork was totally fine although I would have preferred to have gotten it dry and mixed with my own proportion of sauce.  Next to the ribs.  The ribs that I usually like are the kinds that fall completely off the bone with nothing left after I'm done.  These ribs were not like that.  They were a bit tough to get through and I may have left some meat on the bones but I just didn't have the energy to get everything off cleanly.   But flavor-wise, it was saucy and tasty.

Unlike Fette Sau, they have a pretty basic whiskey selection.  Your typical Jamison, Jack Daniels, Buffalo Trace, and Wild Turkey.  At Fette Sau they have a lot more selection and whiskeys that I have never heard of or seen else where.  In a way, I feel bad about most of this review.  I don't want to rag on this place.  It's just really hard when there is such another great BBQ place so close by.  If you're in the mood for BBQ, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the food here and quite frankly it's nice to be able to actually sit down while you eat your food.    

No comments: