Monday, July 25, 2011

Cubana Social Visited 7/23/2011 3 Forks

Cubana Social 70 N 6th St., (between Wythe Ave & Kent Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11211

I give Cubana Social 5 forks for their air conditioning system.  I had brunch there on one of the hottest days in NYC and their a/c was on full blast and it was wonderful.  I give their decor 4.5 forks as it was a huge airy space that really transported you to a place that I envision what Cuba looks like.  Given that, I really wanted to give their overall rating higher than 3 forks but the service was just what brought it down.

Lav and I were really excited about the menu and had a hard time deciding what we wanted because a lot of it sounded amazing.  In the end, I got the the huevos cubanos ($11) and iced coffee while Lav got the  huevos sandwich ($8) and a cafe con leche and we split an order of rice and beans ($2.50).  Then we waited and waited and waited.  Finally, our coffee came and while I liked my coffee, Lav's coffee was a bit too sweet for her.  So we waited to tell the waitress that we wanted to send it back.  And we waited and waited and waited.  Finally I flagged down the hostess who said she would tell our waitress.  After another 10 minutes, a different waiter came and asked if something was wrong.  Lav explained that she didn't realize the coffee was so sweet and he was actually really nice in letting us order something else.  Then we waited and waited and... you get the point.  How long does it take to make coffee?!  But when it came Lav said that the new coffee was amazing.  The only thing left was our food.  Thank god for our coffee otherwise I might have gnawed my arm off.

When the food did come, it was pretty good.  My dish was 2 eggs over easy (perfectly done..meaning very runny) served with black beans, avocado, plantains, and tomatillo sauce (which was tangy and added great flavor).  Lav's sandwich had avocado, plantains, swiss cheese and eggs in between 2 large very toasted pieces of bread (provided great crunch).  It was a good Latin twist to a basic breakfast sandwich.  Overall, the food was tasty and I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it just came out earlier.  One other nice thing was that they didn't charge us for the cafe con leche that Lav sent back, which they totally didn't have to do.  I am totally willing to come back and try it out again but if the food wait is like what it was today, I don't know if I could go back.  Total bill $45 for 2 with tip.

No comments: