Saturday, July 30, 2011

Post Office Visited 7/30/2011 4 Forks

Post Office 188 Havemeyer St., (between 3rd St & 4th St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

I was a bit hesitant to review Post Office because it's more bar than restaurant but their food is not your ordinary bar food...in fact, it's way better than even most restaurant food that I had to review it. The space is pretty small and I would say most people are probably there for drinks and a few snacks but you can totally get full from trying a variety of dishes here and the good news is that they are all really affordable. 


Dan and I split half dozen beau soleil oysters ($12), heirloom tomato salad ($8), pulled pork sandwich ($7), and the chicken liver/bacon sandwich ($8).  The service there was great and they warned us in advance that the "kitchen" (it's literally a small corner in the bar that is sectioned off as a kitchen that can probably fit 1-2 people max) was slammed and that our food might take a while.  I appreciated that she told us in advance instead of us having to wait forever for our food and let us get angry about it.  The oysters came out and they were served with a side of tart vinaigrette and a side of cocktail sauce with fresh grated ginger on top.  The oysters were fresh, sweet and delicious.  We did wait a bit for the rest of our food but again after seeing the one guy in the kitchen work his butt off, I didn't really mind.  Next came the heirloom tomato salad and just looking at it made me want to cry.  I am completely obsessed with heirloom tomatoes and eat them in any form.  For $8, this was a really heft plate of gorgeous yellow, green, red, and orange tomatoes with thinly sliced caramelized onions, fresh basil and perfectly roasted croutons and covered in balsamic vinaigrette.  It was UN-F'ING-BELIEVABLE.  You could have had this at a fancy 5-star restaurant and they probably would have charged you at least $15 for it.  It was a bit heavy on the balsamic but I didn't care.  I would have ordered 3 more orders of it.  Strangely the croutons kind of filled me up and by the time our sandwiches came out I was kind of full.  But I had to at least take 1-2 bites of it.  The pork sandwich was extremely hearty and they were  more than generous with the pork filling inside of it.  The pork itself was pretty sweet and served with red cabbage cole slaw on top of it and all on a soft, sweet, toasted brioche bun.  It's definitely a sandwich that stands up to many of the actual BBQ places in the city.  Meanwhile, I have no idea why Dan ordered the chicken liver sandwich since he hates liver but I applaud him for trying something outside of his comfort zone. Turns out, he still doesn't like liver.  So we ended up switching sandwiches half way through.  Now, I'm not a huge liver fan either but I don't hate it like him and there have been occasions where I have enjoyed it.  This sandwich was also huge and served on a toasted baguette, pickled cucumber, carrots, shallots, frissee, and tossed with an apple vinaigrette.  I gotta say it was a great combination of flavors, most of which I don't like as stand alone ingredients but somehow all together they were really amazing.  The liver wasn't grainy or super livery tasting and all the other ingredients helped to mask what it was (although if you're like Dan and really hate liver I don't think you'll like this sandwich anyways).  I could barely eat my half of the sandwich and when I asked for it to be wrapped and taken home, they took a bunch of tin foil and made it into a swan. I don't know why but I thought that was cute. 

Overall, I really enjoyed my experience here (way more than I would at a regular Post Office) and the actual drink menu isn't too bad either (big focus on whiskey and bourbons).  The service was super friendly and they even brought us a free shot of bourbon at the end of the night as a thank you for waiting for our food...nice touch.   They also had a few other tasty sounding items on the menu that I would try such as deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, steak tartare and a grilled cheese.  Although I liked what they have on their menu, I hope that they expand into a more full blown menu.  Total bill was $66 without tip (includes 3 drinks).       

No comments: