Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jam Visited 8/26/2011 3 Forks

Jam 937 N Damen Ave., (between Walton St & Iowa St), Chicago, IL 60622

 With a name like Jam, you'd think they would an expert on brunch and things that go with Jam.  It actually turned out to reminded me more of a molecular gastronomy type restaurant.  The outside patio was had this quirky rustic charm with random horse figurines and a statue made out of rusty tonka trucks.  


Our waiter was initially super helpful and friendly and really described the egg white dish in such extreme detail that we almost all wanted to order it.  But as our meal progressed, we assessed that he might have just been really hopped up on coffee or cocaine.  The menu took a lot of basic brunch dishes and gave them a more innovative twist.  For example, I got the eggs benedict ($10) which said it came with crispy pork belly and fennel hollandaise sauce.  Deanna got the egg whites ($9) which were described at 2 poached egg whites with macadamia nuts, beets, and other vegetables and Dan got the pork terrine ($14) which came on top of pretzel bread.  For the table, we split a half order of the "famous" french toast with came with freshly de-pitted cherries.  I haven't had french toast in a really long time and these pieces were actually pretty good.  They were really soft and eggy tasting and the fresh cream that came with it was amazing.  I wasn't really used to have french toast without syrup but the cherries and actual toast were already pretty sweet that it was probably a good idea not to pour more sugar on it.  When my benedict came out, I immediately knew that this place wasn't the homey rustic place that goes with the name Jam.  We were told that the eggs were poached in a plastic bag which is how they get them to all have the same consistency, which was an interesting fact.  But what I usually love about eggs benedict is the buttery good sauce that is poured all over the meal.  Instead here, the fennel sauce was more on the side and the pork belly, instead of being sandwiched on the muffin, came on the side.  So it was almost like a deconstructed eggs benedict.  Individually, I'm not sure that they worked but when you mixed a bite all together like you would with a regular benedict, it was pretty delicious.  The pork belly was equal parts fat and meat and did have a nice crisp on the outside.  The eggs were nice and runny and the muffins were soft but toasty.  I do kind of wish that the dish came with a side of something like potatoes (or in this place's case, I could see them coming out a dehydrated potatoes). 

Deanna's dish came out and looked like the healthiest thing I have ever seen.  It probably had 200 calories max in it.  The waiter wasn't kidding when he said that it was 2 poached eggs white.  I think we all thought that there would be more egg white to yolk, but we didn't expect there to be absolutely no yoke at all.  It was literally 2 balls of egg whites on top of a bunch of steamed vegetables.  Deanna said she felt clean and healthy afterwards, but that it was kind of an unfulfilling brunch dish.  I had a quick bite of Dan's dish and the pork terrine had a very strong pate-like taste, which I don't mind, but I know he doesn't like, so I was surprised when he said he liked his meal.  The pretzel bread was nice and soft and added a nice twist to the meal. 

Overall, I'm glad that I tried Jam and thought my meal was pleasant enough but it didn't blow my mind like a Longman and Eagle.  Another small negative for this place was that it was cash only, which is a pet peeve of mine.  Total bill $64 for 3 people with tip.   

No comments: