Sunday, September 25, 2011

Beauty and Essex Visited 9/24/2011 2.5 Forks

Beauty and Essex 146 Essex St., (between Rivington St & Stanton St), New York, NY 10002

I was all ready to give B&E 3 forks last night but the more I thought about my experience this morning, the more the whole experience just didn't sit right with me.  First, the place just tries so hard to be hip and trendy.  It located behind a faux pawn shop but then when you walk in, it's the vast space that's actually pretty beautifully decorated.  The only reservation time we could get 3 weeks out was for 6:15pm on a Saturday, which actually was fine with me.  I got there 2nd but Lav had mentioned that when she first got there the hostess was rude to her, and I could totally see that happening.  Although there wasn't a huge crowd there yet, I got this feeling that the clientele was a lot of wanna be trend setters.  If it's any indication of the type of people who go there, apparently Lindsay Lohan was there this week making out with her mom. Enough said.

The style of food is tapas style with a few bigger dishes (it's owned by the same people at Stanton Social).  However, the prices definitely do not correlate to their plate size.  I was just at Traif for dinner which was also tapas style and their dishes ranged from $8-11 and Spanish tapas places the prices are also in that price range.  But here, each tapas was around $15-$20 yet they were still tapas-sized plates (i.e. very small).  Our waiter was overly excited about the whole menu but picked out about 5-8 dishes that were all "Amaaaaazing".  In the end, we opted for the Classic Pan Con Tomate with fresh burrata ($14), grilled cheese with tomato soup dumplings ($12), lobster tacos ($19) and the chicken meatballs ($16).  The dishes actually came out really quickly.  The pan con tomate with burrata is just a fancy word for a crositini and while it was good I don't think it was mind blowing enough for $14.  Next they brought out the soup dumplings which Lav had asked for with no bacon and the one they gave us clearly had bacon in it.  When we mentioned that there was bacon in it, they said "there's no bacon" - but as someone who loves bacon, I can tell when there's bacon in something.  The next version they brought out didn't have bacon in it and Lav had said it was pretty yummy (hard to get anything called cheese dumpling wrong!) Next came the lobster tacos and chicken meatballs.  I will say that the lobster tacos were very good.  They were small bite sized soft tacos with 1 piece of lobster tempura and red cabbage slaw and a light cream on it.  I could have eaten 2 more orders of it.  I had barely taken my last bite before the bus boy came and took the plate away.  The chicken meatballs were also perfectly fine and actually pretty filling.  It was very moist and you could taste the wild mushroom flavoring. 

However, I got super annoyed when I wasn't even finished with my plate (there was clearly still 1/2 a meatball on the plate) when the bus boy tried to take my plate away and I had to tell him no.  Lav and I got this really annoying feeling that they kept trying to push us out of our table.  I understand that the table probably was booked for another reservation behind us but that is totally not our problem and they have to manage their booking system more properly.  Even though we had finished our meal, Lav and I were both still hungry (since all the plates were small and too bite sized) but instead ordering another dish, we ordered dessert.  We got the chocolate bread pudding ($11) since I love bread pudding and Lav loves chocolate.  You'd think that since everything else was tiny in size, so would the dessert.  But I was surprised when it was actually pretty big in size. The actual bread pudding was soft and soaking in chocolate but it was hard to get to it due to the extremely hard chocolate topping.  I mean the thing was rock hard and made it really difficult to get to the bread underneath.  Of course the minute we put our forks down, someone came and took our plates away and before we knew it, the bill was on our table.  So freakin annoying.  By the time we left, the place was super packed.  It was mostly filled with a slightly older crowd (but as Lav mentioned, it's pretty expensive, so young people can't really afford dinner here) but it was filled with these kind of sad looking old people who are trying really hard to hang on to being cool and hip (i.e. Real Housewives type of people).  The place would probably be better for a large group of people who can split a lot more stuff from the menu.  It wasn't the best place for 2 people who were trying to catch up (it was super loud in there).  The total bill was $81/pp!!        

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: