Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ferry Plaza Seafood Visited 9/8/2011 3.5 Forks

Ferry Plaza Seafood 1 Ferry Bldg, Ste 18, San Francisco, CA 94111

The Ferry Building in SF is one of my favorite places in SF...yes it's totally filled with tourists but there's just something I love about a food market by the water.  It's just a really beautiful relaxing place with lots of great food options.  I was in SF for work and was totally tempted to go back to the Slanted Door or Hog Island, 2 of my favorites in the Ferry Building.  Since I had just been to Slanted Door I nixed that idea and the co-worker I was with wasn't in the mood for oysters, so we nixed Hog Island.  So instead we tried the Ferry Plaza Seafood because it had nice outdoor seating. 

The menu there is a obviously very seafood-centric which is totally fine by me.  I had a hard time deciding between a rare tuna sandwich, seafood noodles, crab cakes, tuna salad or a louie salad.  After my last trip to SF and missing out on the louie salad, I decided I had to get it this time around. I order the crab and shrimp combo ($20) and heirloom tomato appetizer ($9) and my friend gets the half soup (Clam Chowder) and sandwich (crab melt) for $14.  Now I usually don't care too much about my waitress/waiter as long as they are attentive, but our waitress looked like my grandmother's age (and acted like her) and she was wearing a totally random tracksuit.  I just thought that was really weird.  

The thing I absolutely love about SF is their abundance of heirloom tomatoes.  Any time I see heirloom tomatoes I order it, no matter how it's prepared.  That being said, while I enjoyed the heirloom tomato appetizer, I was a bit disappointed that all it was was 2 small tomatoes cut in triangles with some shredded basil.  I thought that it could have been a bit more creative given all the fresh ingredients they have available. The louie salad came out and it was exactly how I imagined it would taste.  It's essentially mixed field greens, chopped shrimp and crab served with a side of louie dressing, which is like a thousand island or Russian dressing.  I mean it's really hard to go wrong with a thick rich dressing and greens, right?  The crab and shrimp were pretty plentiful and fresh tasting.  I had a bite of Patrick's soup and it was very rich and creamy and he commented how he really liked his sandwich.   All in all, the meal was good and the view was fabulous.  I gave it some slight deductions for the bizarre waitstaff, the fact that they charge you for bread, and they could be a bit more creative with their menu.  Total bill: $27/pp with tip and tax.     


Photo credit: Yelp

No comments: