Sunday, October 23, 2011

St. Anselm Visited 10/20/2011 4 Forks

St. Anselm 355 Metropolitan Ave., (between 4th St & Havemeyer St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

I was all ready to give St. Anselm 4.5 forks but then when I got home I felt so dehydrated that I realized how much salt was in the food, that I had to scale back my rating a bit.  Don't get me wrong the food was delicious and amazing and it wasn't too salty at the time, but when I got home I literally had 3 pints of water to quench my thirst.  But it was all worth it.

St. Anselm is a perfect place if you are a big time meat eater.  Their pride and joy are the different kinds of large cuts of grilled meats but strangely there are also several grilled veggie options. They had several really good sounding grilled vegetables and fishes in addition to grilled beef, lamb, and pork.  For an appetizer, we had the 3 kinds of grilled eggplant with fried goat cheese ($9), for entrees the patty melt ($10) and pork chop ($15) and a side of mashed potatoes with truffle oil ($5).  We sat not to far from open kitchen, and after watching them prepare the food, I realized why everything was so mind blowing.  I saw them probably use 2 large spoonfuls of garlic butter on everything they cooked. Not that that's surprising but just seeing it was a bit too much.  But garlic butter does make everything taste better.

The grilled eggplant was delicious and served with caramelized grilled onions and a fat piece of fried goat cheese.  The onions added a nice touch of sweetness to the over dish and it was interesting to see and taste the different kinds of eggplant.  Unfortunately, they were all pretty grilled to death so it was hard to see what they would look like raw, but one looked like your typical purple eggplant, another one that looked green and then a small roundish one that I actually thought was a fig at first because of its shape.  Then the meats came out and good god.  I literally felt my heart stop beating with every bit but it was so worth it.  The patty melt was essentially a burger but served on a toasted piece of rye bread.  We asked for it to be medium rare and it was definitely more on the rare side, but I actually like it that way.  I must have devoured my half in about 10 minutes because it was that good.  On to the pork chop...I actually don't remember if I've really had a pork chop before in my life and I kind of assumed they were all dry but this one was very juicy and moist.   This one was like eating a piece of steak only it wasn't red meat.  All the meat cut off the bone pretty easily and it just blew my mind that a pork chop could taste like this.  The mashed potatoes were also good but I only really got it because of the truffle oil which I didn't really taste, which was kind of a bummer.

I don't believe they take reservations, so I would advise to go early.  We got there at 9pm on a Friday and was told it would be a 90 minute wait! But we checked back in after 45 minutes and managed to finagle a table since the people in front of us never showed.  Another great feature about this restaurant is that despite the high quality of the food, the prices were all very reasonable.  Total bill was ~$45 for 2 including 1 wine and 1 beer.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: