Sunday, November 13, 2011

Potjanee Visited 11/12/11 3.5 Forks

Potjanee 48 Carmine St., (between Bleecker St & Bedford St), New York, NY 10014

I'll keep this review short and sweet because it's one of those solid Thai restaurants that would totally be a good neighborhood go to for me if I lived in the West Village.  The space is pretty small so you can hear almost everyone's conversation but it wasn't so bad that I had to yell across the table like RedFarm. 

The menu is pretty robust with lots of options and a lot of it was spicy!  I was in the mood for a broad noodle so I ended up getting the drunken noodle with shrimp ($10.95) and started with the beansprouts and tofu appetizer ($6).  Beansprouts and tofu is really such a basic and easy dish but if done right is super tasty.  They put a lot of sauce on top of it (almost a bit too much) but the flavors were really strong and the combination of the fresh crunchy beansprouts and soft tofu was just right.  As for my drunken noodles, I had asked for my noodles to be not too spicy but they still had some noticeable heat to it, but it wasn't to the point where my mouth was on fire (or maybe I'm finally able to take spicy foods!).  The shrimp was very plumb and fresh tasting...sometimes in a lot of place the shrimp can be kind of tough, dry or overcooked, but this was cooked just the way I liked it..almost a bit undercooked but not in an unsanitary way.  The noodles were nicely sauced and packed a lot of flavor and not too oily.

What I liked about this place was that the waitstaff was super friendly and they let me and Aarti sit there and talk for almost 2 hours and never pressured us to leave or put the check down before we were ready.  The one slightly weird thing about this place was that there was a live jazz band.  WTF?  So bizarre and out of place.  Total bill $20/pp with tip and tax.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: