Sunday, December 4, 2011

Betto Visited 12/2/2011 3 Forks

Betto 138 N 8th St., (between Berry St & Bedford Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11211

I was excited to try Betto because they are from the same owners as 'intoeca in the LES and I love that place.  So even better that they opened a post in my neighborhood (ok, it's not exactly right in my neighborhood but close enough).

I went there on a Friday night and it was surprisingly not very packed but pleasantly full.  The menu is tapas style but with more of an Italian slant than a Spanish one.  Aarti and I decide to get the flatbread with ricotta and parmesan, market salad, sunchokes and pear, and meatballs.  The food came out insanely quickly which usually freaks me out a bit because it makes me think that all the food is just sitting there and when someone orders it, they just shove it in the microwave for 5 minutes in bring it out.  Now I don't think that's what happened here at all, but my meatballs were a bit cold.  However, they were also delicious.  There were 3 huge meatballs and they had great flavor and were super filling.  Plus the red sauce it was in was also really enjoyable.  To be honest, we weren't really sure what sunchokes were and I'm still not sure.  There was a bunch of thinly shaved pear and that's all I could taste but the dish itself was very healthy tasting.  The market salad seemed like a very basic bowl of mixed greens with vinaigrette dressing.  I didn't have any but Aarti ate most of the leaves, so I guess it was good?  The flatbread that came out was HUGE.  I mean it almost took the entire length of our table.  I normally love ricotta (especially at Locanda Verde) but here, the flatbread was just a tad too tough and the ricotta needed some more sweetness like honey on top of it.  For a place that serves tapas, all the plates were pretty huge in size and we were pleasantly full at the end of it.

While I think we thought our food was fine, a lot of people around us were getting the pastas and those looked amazing! Nice and shiny with sauce.  I am totally getting a pasta dish next time!  What was disappointing was the dessert.  We got the apple crumble with creme fresh.  Now I know that creme fresh is not whip cream, but this tasted exactly sour cream.  So much so that I actually think it might have been sour cream.  I had creme fresh the next day at another restaurant and that was exactly what creme fresh should be: light and fluffy.  This was thick and heavy.  The apple crumble itself was also not very good.  It was just apple with dough of top of it.  No brown sugar or anything on top of it to make it taste sweet.

But overall, the place is nice and spacious, the menu has a lot of variety of food that it was easy to go to with a vegetarian and both be happy.  I heard that the brunch there is supposed to be fabulous, so if I do come back next time, it would be for brunch but I would give dinner one more try.  Total price: $28/pp without tip.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: