Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mi Rancho Visited 12/30/2011 2 Forks

Mi Rancho 1488 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852


Now before people think of me as a food snob, I will preface by saying that I love food in all forms, from high end restaurants to fast food to street food.  But there's just something about food in the suburbs, especially from a strip mall that just never sits well with me.  Maybe it is because I have so many great options in New York that has spoiled me, but with the exception of a few favorite stand bys, any "new" place I try when I go home to MD is just never good. 


Mi Rancho is no exception.  It's really just a very bland, basic Tex-Mex place that's slightly overpriced for what they offer.  The menu has your basic tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and fajitas.  Then they had this random "Specials" menu that had lobster, rack of lamb, whole snapper and rib eye.  What?! And they were super expensive, the red snapper was $25.  I settled for a basic chicken and beef fajita dish ($14), my mom got the salmon (lord knows why she would get that at a Tex-Mex place) and Mike got the Cancun platter (seriously, that's what it was called - it came with an enchilada and 2 soft tacos). 


When my sizzling dish came out, it was pretty underwhelming to look at.  The rice and beans look like they came out of a can from the supermarket and there was no sour cream or cheese and only a very small serving of guacamole.  The tortillas were way to thick and tasted overcooked and again seemed like they came out of a box instead of being homemade.  The saving grace was that the beef and chicken were fine. Not great but totally edible.  I would have liked more sauteed vegetables with the platter.  Instead it came with some onions and then a giant piece of raw green pepper - it should have been sauteed with the onions.  I didn't try anyone else's food but my mom seemed happy with her salmon and Mike didn't have any complaints about his food.  While the food wasn't good, I'm not giving it a goose egg because it wasn't inedible and it was filling.  Plus this type of food does have a place in this world.  Not every place can be 5 stars, super fancy and uses farm to table ingredients.  But I've definitely had better Mexican food from a street cart in Williamsburg. 


Total price $44 for 3 people (not including tip).


Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: