Sunday, January 29, 2012

Allswell Visited 1/28/2012 4 Forks

Allswell 124 Bedford Ave., (between 11th St & 10th St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

Allswell has got this cute cozy feel to it that made me feel at home as soon as I walked into it.  I was a bit concerned given all the extreme reviews on Yelp, but my experience was a good one.  The menu had a lot of different things I wanted to try which is always a good sign.  I was deciding between the eggs, avocado and sourdough toast, the roast beef with fresh horseradish, and the mushroom ricotta frittata.  Sadly my last frittata experience at The Dutch made me kind of weary of ordering frittata again, so I scratched that off my list.  Usually I need an egg-like product for brunch, but I love a horseradish and roast beef combination.  So I pulled a Mama Huang move and asked which one the waitress liked better.  She said that the avocados were flown in from some organic farm in California, which is pretty rare since it's winter time but that the horseradish was made fresh in-house, so if I really liked horseradish I should pick that.  I opted for the eggs because quite frankly, where the hell are you getting avocados in January for only $11? But of course I had to supplement my meal with a nice breakfast sausage ($4) and Aarti also got the avocado dish and we split the yogurt and granola ($6) to make things a bit healthy for us.

I got my eggs scrambled and they were amazing.  They were wet and flavorful and tasted like it was frankly cooked with a nice healthy heaping of butter.  There was a generous portion of avocado, which weren't 100% ripe but not so hard that they weren't edible.  The sourdough bread was nicely toasted with more pats of butter.  Combined all together they made for an amazing dish.  Throw in the huge portion of homemade sausage and I was definitely a happy camper.  I actually could barely finish the sausage patty myself..it was literally the size of a small burger.  I managed to down a few spoonfuls of the yogurt and it was totally fine and tasted good but I will continue to stand by the fact that I don't get why anyone would order something you can easily make at home for $1 (I mean, I guess you could make the same argument for my eggs and avocado dish too...).  The service was very attentive and they tried hard to accommodate all our dish on our tiny table without stacking everything on top of each other.  Aarti got a coffee that came in a cute french press brewer.  I know they are a dime a dozen these days but I still can't get over how cute they are.  I had a great experience and would definitely come back to try dinner.  Total bill pp without tip $19.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: