Friday, January 20, 2012

Kiji - Visited 1/16/2012 4 Forks

Kiji Japanese Restaurant and Sushi Bar 1009 Guerrero St., (between 22nd St & Alvarado St), San Francisco, CA 94110

When I think of San Francisco food, I think fresh seafood and sushi is no exception to that rule.  After a long and fabulous day in Napa Valley, Neera and I went to Kiji Sushi which was right around the corner from her house.  Despite being a quiet long weekend, she was only able to get a 6:45pm reservation on a Monday.  But once I walked in, I noticed that there was probably 10 tables tops (there may have been a back room but I'm not 100% sure), so then I understood why it was hard to get a table. 

The restaurant is small and super cute and the type of higher end but not super fancy neighborhood sushi joint that I wish I had in my neighborhood. I was still a bit full from lunch so I opted to not get anything with rice and got the sashimi platter ($26) which came with 3 pieces of albacore, tuna, yellowtail and salmon and then your choice of the 5th kind, either surf clam, octopus or white fish.  Clearly I was going for whitefish since I'm not a huge fan of either surf clam or octopus - I think they're both too chewy.  Neera got 2 different kinds of rolls - I can't remember which ones they were but they were both pretty different since one was topped with a bed of seaweed and the other was topped with lemon slices - you don't see that too often.  I was a bit bummed that my sashimi didn't come with soup or salad, especially at that price point, but luckily in the end, I didn't really need either of them.  I really loved my sashimi platter.  Not only because there was such a great variety of the types of fish but they were cut just right (not too big like Yama where you can barely eat 1 piece in a bite and not too small where you are done with the entire platter in 5 minutes).  The quality of all the pieces of fish were top notch (literally melt in your mouth) and I just felt super healthy eating my meal.  I am still thinking about how I haven't had a great platter like that in a long time.  I didn't try either of Neera's rolls but she did mention that the lemon slices were a bit too thick and could have been a bit thinner.   It's sushi places like this (not super fancy like a Masa but not so cheap that you you're better off eating deli sushi) that make me wish I could have sushi everyday.

Total bill per person: $32

Photo credit: Yelp

No comments: