Friday, January 13, 2012

Tertulia Visited 1/12/2012 3.5 Forks

Tertulia 359 6th Ave, New York, NY 10012

Tertulia has been on just about every "hot" restaurant list lately, so naturally I had to check it out for myself.  They don't take reservations so I would definitely advise anyone to get there early (and they don't seat incomplete parties).  Jenn and I got there at 6:30pm on a Thursday which was the perfect time because it was crowded but we were immediately seated.  Within 30 minutes the entire place was full.

I love Spanish Tapas but it is a bit difficult to order with just two people.  Granted Jenn and I were both hungry but there's only so much we can order.  The waiter suggested about 4-5 plates which I think was the right amount.  Everything looked great and THEN the waiter reads off the specials and we were totally thrown for a loop.  All the specials sounded amazing but the one that really got our mouths salivating was the Tosta Bogavante which was lobster toast with charred Burrata cheese ($11).  I mean what the hell could be better than LOBSTER and BURRATA CHEESE?!?  Then we ordered the Tosta huevo roto y jamón ibérico ($11) which is crushed egg, potato and Iberico ham on toast, the Coles de bruselas ($9) which was Brussels sprouts and pork belly, the Chipirones Rellenas ($14) which was squid stuffed with black rice and sausage and served with roasted peppers, and Croquetas de Jamón Ibérico ($11) which is Iberico ham croquettes.  The lobster toast came out first and there was just 1 piece.  In hindsight, I wish I had ordered 10 of them.  It was totally amazing.  There was a lot of chopped lobster on a bed of charred cheese.  Heaven.  Then the crushed egg toast came out (there were 2 of them) and that was also totally delicious.  The potato was almost mashed in texture and the ham was thinly sliced and tasted like butter.

Based on these first two dishes I probably would have given this place close to 5 forks.  So I had really high expectations for the other dishes.  All three of them came out at the same time.  Immediately I noticed that the Brussels sprouts looked totally charred and seemed overcooked.  They were practically black but I was still willing to give it a try.  And well, they tasted like charred sprouts and they were over salted as well.  Also, there was like 1 piece of pork belly, I barely saw any of it. The croquettes were fine but very creamy and I didn't really taste the ham.  I was really excited about the squid but they seemed pretty small and the rice didn't have a whole lot of flavor - this dish actually could have used more salt.  Despite all that, I still had a craving for sweets.  For dessert, we ordered the Torta de Manzana ($7) which was apple cake, rum ice cream, and cider caramel.  The cake was slightly toasted on the outside and warm and soft on the inside.  The ice cream definitely tasted like rum and it was a great combination to the cake.  The dessert was great but didn't quite make up for the 3 other dishes that were a bit lacking.

I do want to mention that our waiter was great and super sweet.  Also, if you are going there to have a conversation with someone I would strongly suggest you go somewhere else.  The place is LOUD and only gets louder as it fills up.  At one point I felt like I was screaming at Jenn when she was only 1 foot away.  Our total bill with 3 drinks each and tax and tip: $85/pp - even though we got lots of drinks and dessert, that is a bit steep per person, especially given that each plate was only a couple mouthfuls.

Photo credit: Yelp.

1 comment:

jenniferyee said...

great post! totally agree. the toasts were amazing but the entrees were underwhelming.