Saturday, February 11, 2012

Balaboosta Visited 2/10/2012 4 Forks

Balaboosta 214 Mulberry St., (between Spring St & Prince St), New York, NY 10012

Balaboosta is one of the restaurants that's been on my list of places to try but I just never seem to be "in the mood" for it.  Luckily, Virginia and I happened to be in the neighborhood on a Friday night and it was literally 1 block from where we met up,  so it seemed like a no brainer to finally check it out.  Luckily we met pretty early on a Friday night (7pm - which is early for dinner in NYC) so we were able to get a table without a reservation but I would recommend making one if you want to go anytime after 8pm.

After our last appetizer only outing, VA and I were both tempted to order a bunch of small plates but instead the hanger steak was calling both our names (maybe it was because we both just worked out and had a hankering for red meat), so we opted to both get steak but to order 2 sides to start.  We started with the Hummus "Mortar And Pestle": with Tahini, Lemon, Roasted Garlic ($7) and the Smoked Eggplant Bruschetta, with Herb & Citrus Salad, Silan ($11).  So much how I test a brunch place with how well they make a poached egg, I test a Mediterranean place on how good their hummus is.  And Balaboosta makes a freakin damn good one.  It tasted totally homemade (in a good way) and had the perfect mix of tahini and garlic to it.  The pita bread that was served with it was super soft (fresh out of the oven) and I was super sad but thankful that they only give you two pieces.  There's something about it that was just so much tastier than the kind you buy in a store even though it's such a simple recipe.  Next came the eggplant bruschetta and at first I was a bit disappointed that only one piece came out but it was a HUGE piece.  But the one piece I had was amazing.  The eggplant was quite smoky tasting but the herb and citrus salad on top of it really helped to diffuse the smoky taste.  It was a great combination of the two flavors.  These two apps really set us up well for the main dish of Spice Rubbed Skirt Steak with Roasted Salsify, Oyster Mushroom and Sauteed Green Beans, Tomato Vinaigrette ($26).  We both got our steaks medium rare and mine was exactly that.  It was pretty pink on the inside and very juicy as you cut into it.  I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more mushroom and the greens were only slight wilted (not plumb and crispy like the ones I had for lunch the other day).  However, I really liked the spice rub and the tomato vinaigrette was something totally different (it's was almost like having tomato soup sauce on top) that I've never had before.  If you're hungry, the steak is a very generous piece and I had to be wheeled out of the restaurant after finishing it.  But did that stop me and VA from getting dessert?  Uh, yeah, no it didn't.  We got the special cheesecake of the day (lemon) which came with a peanut butter crust and lemon sauce side ($9).  It actually didn't look anything like a cheesecake, it looked more like a lemon meringue tart because of the toasted top.  The peanut butter crust was really powerful and quite thick.  In fact, I felt like there was too much crust to actual cheesecake, but that clearly didn't stop us from almost eating the whole thing.

The wait staff was nice and friendly and was helpful in us deciding our meal.  The one thing I will warm people is that the two top tables are literally 2 inches away from each other, so there isn't any privacy.  I could have practically eaten off my neighbor's plate.  I often forget how much I love Mediterranean/Greek food but after my experience here and at Pylos, I will keep it more top of mind.  Total bill $52/pp with tip and tax.  

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: