Sunday, February 26, 2012

Moustache Visited 2/25/2012 3.5 Forks

Moustache 90 Bedford St., (between Barrow St & Grove St), New York, NY 10014

I've actually been to Moustache several times over the years, but I have never blogged about it, so I am now!  I have always had good meals here and when I was having down day and hanging out at Aarti's apartment, I decided this was a good, close by option.

Despite being around for years, this place was still crowded on a Saturday night.  The few times I've been here before I've gotten the same thing, the leg of lamb sandwich ($11) because honestly it's just a tasty sandwich.  For the table, we got the hummus ($6) and the lentil salad ($6).  The weird thing was that the waitress asked if we wanted pita with our hummus.  Umm, yes?!  That sounds so ridiculous because how else would I otherwise eat my hummus? That's like going to Chinese restaurants and then asking if I want rice...of course I do! When the hummus did come out, the annoying thing was that it wasn't the usual soft pillowy pita but this blown up balloon like pita that was hard and crunchy.  It was fine but not what I preferred to eat my hummus with.  But the actual hummus itself was quite smooth and rich tasting.  The lentil salad came with bulghur and fried onion and it was a very hearty "salad"  that went well with the hummus.  My sandwich was yummy as usual.  The sandwich actually came as a pita wrap (which I started to tear apart and use to eat the hummus with) with onion, tomato, and a lemon mint mayo.  The flavors are all super Mediterranean and the lamb is really tender and not gamey tasting at all.  The only complaint would be that there's a LOT of onion so I wouldn't recommend it if you're on a date or something like that.  Aarti and Lav got the falafel plate ($11) and the moustache pizza ($12) which comes topped with roasted red pepper, onion, tomato, parsley, chili and mozzarella.  I didn't try either of their dishes but they both commented that it was good and that the falafel wasn't greasy or too oily.  This place is a solid go-to for Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food.   Head up is that it's cash only.  Total bill $27/pp with tax and tip.

Photo Credit: Yelp      

No comments: