Monday, February 20, 2012

Peep Visited 2/18/2012 3 Forks

Peep 177 Prince St., (between Thompson St & Sullivan St), New York, NY 10012

I haven't been to Peep in over 5 years and it really hasn't changed at all.  Aarti and I had a dinner date to get Thai food on Saturday but at the same time I was also shopping for a new laptop.  After years of being a PC girl, I decided that it might be time for a Mac since everyone I know loves them.  Plus I've been going through a pretty difficult time these days and decided that I needed a fresh start and try something different, so what better way than to get a Mac (and ps. I fucking LOVE it so far...granted I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to copy/paste).  So I ended up at the Apple store in Soho on Greene Street and Peep was a 5 minute walk away.  I believe Peep is related to the people who run SEA because the menu and price points are almost identical.

The inside is kind of like a club with neon pink lights and the bathroom is see-through with racy videos playing inside.  Of all the tables in the whole place, Aarti and I got the two top right next to the bathroom. Of course.  The menu at Peep is pretty robust with lots of choices but all pretty typical for a Thai place: noodles, fried rices, curries, stir-fries, whole fish, etc.  I had a craving for noodles and got the Face Towel Noodle ($12, please, I have NO IDEA why the hell it's called that) which is essentially a broad noodle with shrimp, squid, chicken, egg, basil,  and tomato chili paste.  Aarti got the sesame stir-fry ($11) and we split the steamed spinach dumplings ($6) and a side of steamed eggplant ($5).  Unlike my meal at Gramercy Tavern, the food here came out scarily fast.  The steamed dumplings must have literally come out 4 minutes after we ordered.  The dumplings were eh, not super fresh tasting and honestly the ones I get at the Asian grocery store tasted better.  Luckily my noodles were a bit better.  The dish was huge and there almost seemed like there were 5 pounds of noodles.  While the overall taste was fine, my issues with the dish were that there were only 2 pieces of shrimp (and they were very small and a bit dry), almost no squid and the chicken pieces were too big and slight overcooked.  I know I am making this dish sound not that great, but it suited my needs at the time and I really liked the sauce on the noodles.  I also tried the eggplant (I love the fact that they offer eggplant as a side dish option) and while the flavor of basil and chili paste came out loud and clear, the eggplant itself needed to be cooked a bit longer.

During any other day, I would have been a bit annoyed by the slow service, I actually appreciated it on this day because it gave me and Aarti the opportunity to have a leisurely meal for 2 1/2 hours.  The great thing about Thai places like this is the bill.  Total bill $23/pp.  Yay!

Photo Credit: Yelp  

No comments: