Monday, March 5, 2012

Flour Bakery Visited 3/3/2012 4 Forks

Flour Bakery 190 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139

I have been to Boston before but I will admit that I haven't been to Cambridge before.  All I know about Cambridge is that it's home to Harvard and MIT, so I was expecting lots of dorks (and I say that with true love).  What I didn't know was that it was home to a lot of crunchy granola, hippie types.  So I was shocked when Nima introduced me to Flour Bakery.  The menu sounded great and there were lots of healthy options.  They tell you what's vegan friendly, nut free, gluten free, etc and if you hadn't told me, I would have thought I was somewhere in California.  I kind of secretly loved it. 


I got the smoked turkey sandwich with cranberry chutney and vermont cheddar cheese ($9.25) but lots of other sandwiches sounded super amazing including the one Nima got, the lamb sandwich with tomato chutney and goat cheese.  I had a really hard time deciding and thought that turkey was the "healthy" option since I knew that we were going to split a sticky bun.  Flour is also famous for their baked goods, especially the sticky bun.  But I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I said yes.


The thing about Flour is that it's always crowded and it's hard to find a seat but luckily we were standing right next to a group that was leaving the communal table.  As we start to sit down, I just had to take note of the group sitting next to us.  Now, I am not trying to be stereotypical and love all sorts of people, but these kids looked so much like the nerds from the Big Bang Theory that it was painful.  They all had terrible haircuts, giant glasses and no sense of style.  And then you listened to them and they were talking about exponents and mean averages. Bless their heart and it kind of brought a smile to my face for some reason.  Hey, I'm sure in 3 years they will all be running the world.  Now on to the food... The bread was super soft and the turkey and cheese were really healthy tasting.  The cranberry chutney just sealed the deal and made it taste like the perfect after Thanksgiving Day sandwich.  I also had a bite of Nima's lamb sandwich and it was also amazing.  The lamb was super super tasty (not tough) and just very tender with each bite.  She got it toasted and I wish I had gotten mine toasted too.  On to the sticky bun...oh, my.  I don't even know what to say.  It was so super sweet I literally thought that I was going to develop 10 cavities on site.  Now I love sweets but this was really just too much for me.  I'm glad we split one, but I would have preferred to split 1/4 of one.   But if you like sweet gooey baked goods, this is your dish!


This place really gave me a new perspective on the Cambridge scene.  I really liked this place a lot and wished that there was something like it closer to me (although I do live in Brooklyn, so I have no doubt something like this does exist).  Too bad my friend is moving from Cambridge soon, otherwise I would say I would definitely be back.  But I highly recommend it to anyone who lives in that area or is thinking of visiting Boston-area.  Total bill: $10/pp.

photo credit: Yelp

No comments: