Monday, April 9, 2012

Tartine Visited 4/8/2012 2 Forks

Tartine 253 W 11th St., (between 4th St & Waverly Pl), New York, NY 10014

My request for the perfect benedict continues in New York.  I thought that Tartine had a lot of promise since they had Eggs Florentine, regular Eggs Benedict and Eggs Norvegienne on the menu.  They also had other classic French dishes like Croque Monsieur, Croque Madam, and then other random breakfast stuff like corned beef hash.  I went straight for the Eggs Norvegienne ($15.50) which was the benedict with salmon instead of ham.  Aarti got the Egge Florentine (spinach instead of ham) and Will got the Croque Madam.

When the dish came out, I still held out hope that it would be great.  The first off thing I noticed was a bone in my salmon, which actually didn't bother me a whole lot (I guess this is because I grew up eating lots of whole fish which was always full of tiny bones).  But the real issue I had with this dish was that the English muffin was rock hard.  I mean, it wasn't just overly toasted..I could barely to cut into it.  Even Will made a comment that I seemed to be trying too hard to cut into the dish.  And this was with an actual butter knife and not some kind of wimpy plastic utensil. You'd think that bread should be pretty easy to cut into.   I also thought the eggs were a bit overpoached...they just weren't runny enough.  The bright side of the dish was actually the potatoes.  They were pretty unique since they were mixed with tomato and spring onion and that was a pretty tasty combination.  At first I thought that maybe it was just my English muffins were overly toasted but Aarti mentioned that hers were also rock hard and she had to eat around them.  It looked like Will's dish was the winner of the morning as it looked nice and cheesy.   Another downside is that it's cash only, but luckily since it came out to $20/pp, it was easy to pay.  One small plus side is the location of this restaurant.  It's on a super cute, picturesque street of the West Village and if you can get a seat outside, it might make your meal a bit more palatable.

Photo Credit: Yelp 

No comments: