Monday, May 7, 2012

Kimchi Taco Truck Visited 5/7/2012 4 Forks

Kimchi Taco Truck

With the World Financial Center undergoing massive changes, there is seriously a lack food options (not that they were great to begin with) in the building.  So it was a seriously welcomed change when they brought together a bunch of different food trucks during lunch time starting this spring.  The line-up changes everyday but I had only been going to the Taim truck because I love their food there so much.  But Allison and I figured that it was time to try something different today.   I had seen the Kimchi Taco truck there but I had an allegiance to Korilla and wasn't sure if it would be as good.  But I figured it was worth a try.

On Monday's the popularity contest is usually between the Taim and Kimchi Taco truck.  Today was no different.  Luckily, we got there relatively early (11:45AM) so the line was still bearable.  Any time after noon, expect to wait at least 20 minutes for your food.  I took a peek in the truck and was a bit concerned that there wasn't a single Asian person working the truck.  Now don't get me wrong, that by no means guarantees that the food is good or authentic but kimchi is a pretty specific type of Asian food that isn't seen in many places outside of traditional Korean restaurants and takes a serious cook to know what they are doing.  The menu is a mix of tacos, kimchi bowl, kim cheesesteak (with Cheez Whiz!) and a few sides.  I opted for the kimchi bowl with multigrain rice and Korean BBQ short rib ($8).   This was pretty much a burrito bowl served with lettuce, fresh kimchi, pico de gallo, pickled daikon, green onion and lots of short rib.  I was impressed with the quantity of food and the quality wasn't bad either.  The multigrain rice was unique.  I can't quite explain what the rice was but I've actually bought it before in Asian supermarkets.  It's got a thicker texture and it's purple and has other grains in it.  It's super healthy and much heartier than regular brown rice.  The kimchi was fresh and had strong flavors although it could have used a bit more cabbage.  I did ask for it medium spicy but to be honest it wasn't spicy at all so that was a bit disappointing.  The short rib was tender and you could definitely taste the marinate that it was soaking in.   This was a great cafeteria alternative and I would definitely come back to try the other proteins they offered: spicy seared pork, spicy pulled chicken, and tofu edamame falafel.  However,  Korilla is better and more authentic tasting and their sauces are definitely what sets them apart of Kimchi Taco.  But since they are not an option, I will still gladly choose Kimchi Taco over a turkey burger from the cafeteria any day of the week.

Photo Credit: Yelp    

No comments: