Saturday, June 16, 2012

Spoon Visited 6/10/2012 2 Forks

Spoon 17 W 20th St., (between 5th Ave & Avenue Of The Americas), New York, NY 10011


I really really really wanted to like Spoon (or it's also called tbsp) .  It's super cute and cozy brunch place in an area that desperately needs a great brunch place, Flatiron.  It's one of those places that serves everything in maison jars, has cute white washed wood paneling and everything looks like it came straight from the farm.   Plus the menu looked and sounded amazing.  I was having a hard time decided because everything sounded great.  I was deciding between the baked eggs and the bacon, egg, cheese panini, so I asked the waitress which one she recommended.  Instead of describing the dishes and telling me which one she liked, she said "the baked eggs is one of the most popular dishes."  Umm, that wasn't what I asked.  Something can be popular but not good.  So this led me to think that she didn't really know much about the food.  I decided to go with the baked eggs ($12) because it came with herb shitake mushrooms hash browns, pork, eggs and spinach.  Sounds great, right? The waitress did warn me that the eggs would come out soft and if that bothered me and I said no, the runnier and softer the better for me.

Lav got the Farmer's Plate with scrambled eggs ($12) which turned out really great.  The eggs looked perfectly scrambled and she said she really loved her dish.  But unfortunately when my dish came out, I took one look at it and immediately wished I got the panini instead.  I knew the dish was baked in the oven, but it clearly looked like it had been overcooked and sat in the oven way too long.  I cut into the dish and hit the yolk of the egg and it was completely hard boiled.  It wasn't even close to being poached or soft.  I mean, you could have lifted out the yolk completely intact with your hands.  I normally never send my food back...I just suck it up and eat it because generally it's never that bad.  But after I few bites, I just couldn't eat it.  It was so overcooked and dry.  I felt bad but the waitress was nice about it.  I always have this fear that whenever food is sent back, they spit in the next version.  The next one came out and this time the eggs were definitely runny and soft.  Hooray.  But then the overall taste of the dish was still dry and wasn't great.  The entire bottom of the pan was lined with hash browns and the hash browns just really didn't do it for me - too dry, salty and too herb-y.  The parmesan crusted top just didn't work for me either.  When I think of cheese, I want it to be nice and gooey and this was hard and crispy.  I probably ate half of it and couldn't finish it.

I did give this place 2 stars because Lav really did like her dish a lot and the other items on the menu did sound really good that I would still consider trying this place again, especially since the cute brunch options in this area is a bit limiting.  Total bill: $36 total

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: