Wednesday, July 18, 2012

East of 8th Visited 7/17/2012 2.5 Forks

East of 8th 254 W 23rd St., (between 7th Ave & 8th Ave), New York, NY 10011


So my big plan for Tuesday was to go see Ted the movie for free.  A friend of mine has this crazy cable package where you can go see movies for free on Tuesdays and she nicely offered me the free tickets because she couldn't go.  Unfortunately, the Clearview Chelsea is in a restaurant dead zone area, which is weird because in the other parts of Chelsea has great food options.  East of 8th is literally right next to the theater so it was a super convenient option.


The downstairs is a casual bar and the upstairs is more of a restaurant setting.  The menu is your standard American bistro fare and they even cater to the movie crowd with a "pre-theater" 3 course prix fixe menu for $19.95 until 6:45pm.  They also had an all-you-can-eat BBQ ribs special...yeah, it was that kind of place.  I wasn't really in a mood for a 3 course meal or unlimited BBQ at 6:30pm.  But strangely I was in the mood for a burger ($13) so that's what I ordered and Kristin got the pan roasted shrimp with fresh corn salad ($19).  When the burger came out, it was almost the size of the entire plate and I proclaimed that I would never be able to finish the whole thing (famous last words).  I asked for the burger to be medium rare and it was closer to the medium than the rare and I would have preferred it the other way around.   The burger wasn't anything really special or awful about it, it tasted like something I would get in my office cafeteria.  Eventually I had to take the bun off and went atkins style and finished the actual patty (mostly because it was covered in cheddar cheese).   The burger was a bit dry and salty, which just forced me to down 2 glasses of red wine during dinner.  I didn't try Kristin's shrimp but she did finish the shrimp and the corn salad and mentioned that it was tasty.  So maybe I should have gotten something besides the burger.  All in all, in an area where there's not much besides a Dallas BBQ and Lucky Burger, East of 8th is a totally acceptable option if you're going to the movies next door, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it a destination restaurant.  Total bill: $40/pp including tax, tip and 2 glasses wine

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: