Sunday, August 26, 2012

Marche du Sud Visited 8/25/2012 2.5 Forks

Marche du Sud 1136 1st Ave, New York, NY 10065


Normally I would never find myself up by this area (all the way on the east side in the 60's), but a friend of mine who lives on Roosevelt Island was having a baby shower and this was right off the tram.  I will say that the 2.5 rating doesn't really reflect what I thought of the decor and space of the restaurant.  My friend's sister had reserved the entire back room which had this beautiful open feeling with tons of windows surrounding the room.  It was the perfect room for a baby shower because it was totally closed off from the rest of the restaurant and big enough for all of us to walk around and mingle but small enough that it felt cozy.  The meal started with a bunch of french pizzas, which were very thin crusted pizzas with no tomato sauce.  They did come with sauteed onions, creme fraiche, and gruyere cheese.  Although they are not like your usual Italian pizzas, they were tasty and light.  Unlike my rant about how I like pasta with tomato sauce, these pizzas didn't feel lacking without the tomato sauce and I had about 3-4 slices because they weren't so heavy and I was starving.  For the main entrees, we got to pick from a long line of dishes from risotto, burgers, omelettes, waffles, and salads.  I figured since it was a brunch, I ordered the L’Omelette Parisienne ($12) which is an omelette with wild mushrooms, french ham & gruyère cheese.  In an attempt to be healthy, I asked for it to come with egg whites instead.  I'm not sure if that's where I went wrong but when the omelette came out, it was a bit underwhelming.   It was pretty small and thin and looked like something I could make at home.  The salad that came with it was also just ok, a bit overdressed.  I don't mean to make it sound like my food was awful because it wasn't.  It just felt like food that I could make at home with my friends and not at a nicer French restaurant.  I took a look at the other food and the presentation of the other dishes and they also looked underwhelming as well.  But despite all of this, this was a lovely place to have a small gathering like a baby shower.  

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: