Monday, August 6, 2012

Roman's Visited 8/5/2012 2 Forks

Roman's 243 DeKalb Ave., (between Clermont Ave & Vanderbilt Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11205

Roman's has got to be one of more disappointing restaurants I've been to in recent months.  And it pains me to say it because its from the people who brought us Marlow&Sons and Diner, both of which I love.  The inside of Roman's is lovely and the waitstaff is also very nice.  But as soon as I looked at the brunch menu I was like "Huh? This is it?"  The menu was only 1 page, which is fine as long as there are great things to choose from.  But the menu here had almost nothing brunch-y at all.  While I am an adventurous eater, sometimes all I want for brunch is a good egg dish with a side of bacon or sausage (or both!).  The menu here was much more refined lunch than brunch.  It featured items like crostini with chicken liver, burrata with fresh peaches, string bean salad, poached eggs on a lentil salad, and spaghetti.   While I'm sure these dishes could be good, I just wasn't in the mood for any them at 11:30AM on a Sunday.  I settled on the most brunch-y item on the menu, the frittata with aioli and watercress salad ($12) and Cicily got the Mozzarella in Carrozza ($12) and we split an order of homemade donuts ($4).

The frittata was made with potatoes, beans and mushrooms and wasn't very impressive.  The aioli on top of it was overly salty and I personally don't like watercress so that just wasn't a good pairing for me.  The Mozzarella in Carrozza sounded really good when the waitress described it (she said it was a mozzerella sandwich lightly battered and fried) but Cicily had about 3-4 bites and didn't finish it.  The saving grace of the meal was the donuts.  They were light and fluffy sugar donuts and I could have ordered an entire dozen.  I left brunch feeling unsatisfied but I will caveat that I have been to many places where it's good for brunch but terrible for dinner or vice versa.  So maybe this place has a much better lunch/dinner experience but I probably won't really go back to find out.   But the one good thing was that it was pretty cheap:  $33/total including tax.

Photo Credit: Eater

   

No comments: