Thursday, August 2, 2012

Wahoo's Fish Taco Visited 8/1/2012 3.5 Forks

Wahoo's Fish Taco 333 Park Ave S, (between 24th St & 25th St), New York, NY 10010

Wahoo's Fish Taco is really more of a casual/fast foodish type place rather than a restaurant. But I figured that I would blog about it since it's a relatively new/different chain to the NYC area.  The decor of this place is very skater/surfer/Cali like (so obviously so different from NYC in that respect already).  Despite its name, there is so much more than just fish tacos.  It's similar to Chipotle in that they have burritos, burrito bowls, tacos and salads.  But they also have platters, enchiladas, sandwiches and other sides.  Since I had just had a burrito bowl for lunch at work, I decided to stick with the namesake and get 2 fish tacos, brown rice and black beans ($8).  There is no waitstaff at Wahoo's.  You order at the counter, they give you a number and someone will come and find you to give you your food. 

If I wasn't in a hurry, I would have gotten a beer there too since they had great happy hour specials ($4 beers, $5 wine and sangria).  The fun thing about this place is that they have a full bar, which is fantastic if you want a real drink with your food.  For $8, I was super impressed with the amount of food and the quality of it.  The white fish was lightly grilled and it was actually a fairly decent sized fillet inside the taco.  I got the soft taco and they came with really nice corn tortillas, shredded cabbage, pico de gallo and cheese.  There's also this awesome green sauce (why is green sauce always so awesome?!?!) that really made the dish unique.  I wished that I had gotten an extra side of green sauce.  The taco was sturdy but soft and even though there were only 2 tacos, I was super full by the end of my meal.  It was a great, light alternative to having a meat based taco.  The brown rice was cooked well; surprisingly fluffy and soft to eat.  Usually it's pretty easy to make brown rice super dry and gross, but I actually felt very healthy while I was eating it.  The black beans had a lot of flavor to it and the rice and beans itself was almost a 2nd meal for me.

I didn't give Wahoo's 4 forks mostly because it's just really more of a casual cafeteria style place vs. a restaurant.  But the food is a great alternative to gross fast food/deli food in the city and I hope they open more of them in the city (especially if they all have full bars).

Photo Credit: Yelp 


No comments: