Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bubby's Pie Company Visited 9/16/2012 3 Forks

Bubby's Pie Company 120 Hudson St., (between Franklin St & Moore St), New York, NY 10013


Bubby's is mostly well known for being a brunch place and pretty kid friendly.  My one experience with Bubby's was many years ago at the location in DUMBO and I remember being so appalled at all the kids screaming and running around that I just couldn't bring myself to ever go back.  Plus I didn't think the brunch food was all that great.  Fast forward to this week and a good friend of mine's husband was in town and wanted to go Bubby's for dinner, so I figured it was worth a try for dinner instead of brunch.

The crowd is definitely more tame (but there were 1-2 screaming kids there) and the dinner menu is mostly comfort food such as meatloaf, mac and cheese, burgers, roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, etc.  For some reason, they weren't serving the dinner portion of the mac and cheese (which was probably a good thing for me), and I was feeling particularly hungry so I went for the house made burger with American cheese ($17.50) and it came with 1 side (I got the mashed potatoes).  Aarti and I split the side of mac and cheese ($7) and she was pretty healthy and got the market salad ($9) and a side of broccoli ($7).  Karsten got the BBQ plate with pulled pork ($27) and 2 sides.  I wasn't expecting much from the burger, but it was actually pretty home-y looking and tasting and I mean that in a good sense.  You could tell that it was made in house because the patty had that look of not being processed or frozen and kind of cobbled together that only a in house ground patty could have.  The cheese was melted directly on there so it was nice and gooey and the size of the burger was enough to feed 2 people (so of course I had to eat the whole thing).  The bread was soft enough to make the meal complete but strong enough to hold the juices of the meat.  But one huge downside of the burger was that it was super salty.  I could not get enough water during and after dinner.  The mashed potatoes were your standard mom mashed potatoes (meaning lots of butter) and I ate the entire scoop of it.  Despite my excitement for the mac and cheese, I was so full that I only took a few bites of it but along with the comfort food theme, it was simple yet tasty.  Although Bubby's is also famous for pie, none of us could muster up the appetite to eat anything else.

If I lived in Tribeca or just happened to be near by, I would consider hopping in here again when I have a comfort food craving (which is really all that often) but it's not some place that I would commute into the city for very often unless asked to.  Total bill:  $$90 for 3 people with tax and tip.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: