Sunday, October 21, 2012

Golden Unicorn Visited 10/21/2012 4 Forks

Golden Unicorn 18 E Broadway, (between Catherine St & Market St), New York, NY 10002


My love for dim sum knows no bounds.  I wish that I could eat it all the time but it's not always easy to drag my butt to Chinatown on a weekend morning and the lines can be painfully long if you don't get there early enough.  Luckily, Mabel and I made the right choice and got to Golden Unicorn at 11AM which just before the mad crazy rush.

Golden Unicorn is your classic dim sum place.  It's in a huge Chinese restaurant with really loud and slightly obnoxious waitstaff and pushcarts filled with steaming hot dim sum.  It's just the way I like it.  I can go a bit nuts when ordering dim sum, but Mabel and I did keep it to 6 dishes (which I think is a record for me):  shrimp dumplings, shumai, shrimp crepes, sticky rice in banana leafs, turnip cake, and some other kind of dumplings in a broth.  Everything tasted very freshly made and you could tell that they just came out of the kitchen because they were incredibly hot.  I've been to a couple places where the dim sum is cold and looked like it had been circulating around for hours before hand.  But everything here looked to be made not too long ago and they did a pretty good job of always moving the carts around so that you're not waiting around for food to come your way.  I had been to Golden Unicorn years and years ago and I don't remember what the quality of the food was, but I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised.  It definitely impressed me.

One specific comment I'll make about the food is that usually the sticky rice dish I get comes in 1 giant leaf but these were individual sized portions, which I thought was a great idea so that you aren't double dipping and using your fork to constantly scrape out the rice.  My one complaint with the food was that the dipping sauce for the turnip cake was incredibly salty, to the point where I left lunch dying for a giant bottle of water.  One of the best things about dim sum is the price.  I know I can always leave feeling incredibly full, happy that I was able to try a variety of different dishes and pay under $20.  The total bill for both of us was $17/pp including tax and tip.   When we left around 12:15pm, the line outside was a hot mess.  There must have been at least 25-30 people just standing in the elevator lobby waiting for the hostess to scream their number into a microphone.  Ahh, Chinatown, gotta love it.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: