Thursday, November 8, 2012

Flying Saucer Visited 11/5/2012 3 Forks

Flying Saucer 1123 N California Ave., (between Thomas St & Haddon Ave), Chicago, IL 60622

Flying Saucer was another hippie-dippie type of brunch place in Chicago that Deanna and I decided to try right before my flight took off.  Unlike Victory's Banner, this one isn't run by "devotees" but instead only had 1 New Zealander basically running the entire place.  The poor guy had to wait on 10 tables, bus all of them and serve them.  So while I most definitely felt bad for him, the service was so god forsaken slow, Deanna and I were on the verge of serving ourselves coffee and getting our own silverware.   The only reason why I didn't give this place a lower ranking was because I really did enjoy my food and thought the whole diner kitchy decor was cute.  The inside reminded me of a old fashion yet hipster feeling diner.  It totally looked like a place that would fit right in in Williamsburg or the East Village.   

The menu here has a very healthy, yet has a weirdly Mexican slant to it.  For anyone who loves a good breakfast menu, this place will overwhelm you.  They have your basic omelettes, breakfast samplers and pancakes.  Then they also have tofu sweet potato hash, huevos volando, biscuits and gravy, eggs benedict, and several breakfast bowls - so it's definitely a wide variety of food.  Since I had spent the majority of my time in Chicago gorging on pork products and egg products, I opted for the la bazza bowl ($9.95) which is a vegetarian breakfast bowl.  It came with brown rice topped with two eggs, black beans, mixed sautéed veggies, tofu, kale , chihuahua cheese, sour cream and pico de gallo served with corn tortillas.  It tasted great and healthy.  I felt my cholesterol lowering with each bite of brown rice and tofu.  I should mention that the bowl is huge and I was able to split it into 2 separate meals.  The brown rice was nice and moist which is usually very hard to do with brown rice as it can easily get to be hard and dry.  Then there was a hefty amount of kale, which is my current favorite veggie so I was a huge fan of that part of the dish.  The mix of the cheese and sour cream also ensured that the entire dish was moist and delicious.  Essentially it was just a giant burrito bowl with some eggs thrown in which actually is totally fine with me.

All the other food on the menu also sounded  delicious and looked (based on my snooping of other people's food) great.  I'm not sure if it was because it was a weekday afternoon or if they were just cheap, but to only have 1 person working the restaurant just made a not so great customer experience.   Another watch out is that it's cash only, which is also usually a strike for me.  But the whole place was just so endearing and sweet looking (plus the fact that I actually had a lot of cash on me for the first time) that I don't want to dock it below 3 forks.  Total bill: $30 total.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: