Sunday, November 18, 2012

Steak Frites Visited 11/17/2012 2 Forks

Steak Frites 9 E 16th St., New York, NY 10014

Steak Frites is one of those places that I've walked past a millions times in Union Square and it never really ever crossed my mind to go in.  Not because I had any preconceived notion about it but it was just one of those places that was always here and I figured I would end up there at some point in my life.  The time came this past Saturday when I and a few friends were wedding dress shopping with my good friend, Virginia in the neighborhood.

Steak Frites looks like a cute French bistro and usually French bistro places have pretty decent brunches.  This place also had unlimited mimosas, so that's not to like so far?  The menu was your basic bistro brunch of benedicts, omelettes, croque madams, steak sandwiches and mussels.  I opted for the Scandinavian benedict ($16)  and originally I just wanted 1 mimosa but I guess when you say you want a mimosa they just assume you want the unlimited meal because they kept re-filling my glass without really asking me.  That was a bit annoying but I guess there are worse things in life.  The other girls all got omelettes or a salad.  When my benedict came out I couldn't put my finger on what was missing but then it struck me.  They totally didn't finish putting the hollandaise sauce on the dish.  It's like the started because there was a little bit on there but it's no where near what's shown in the picture above.  How can you serve a benedict with just a dribble of hollandaise sauce? It's the most important part of the dish!  The overall presentation of the dish was really ho-hum.  I've seen better presentation at a TGI Fridays.  At least the good thing for them was that the egg was actually poached well and runny but the overall dish was just meh.  The fries were fine, nothing to really write home about.  I thought they would be the nice big steak fries, but they were more medium cut, super salty fries.  I didn't try anyone else's dish but honestly all the omelettes looked a bit sad.  Julie and Joanna both got the market vegetable omelette and Joanna had asked for no mushrooms.  When her omelette came out, it was just spinach and goat cheese.  So I guess when they say market vegetables they really just meant spinach and mushrooms?

When the bill came, the total was $34/pp which I thought was outrageous for a eh benedict and 3 glasses of weak mimosas.  For that amount of money, I would expect an amazing meal or at least strong cocktails.  I didn't really get either one here.

Photo Credit: Yelp 

No comments: