Monday, January 28, 2013

Friend of a Farmer Visited 1/26/2013 2.5 Forks

Friend of A Farmer 77 Irving Pl (between 18th St & 19th St), New York, NY 10003





I've been to Friend of A Farmer many many times and every time I go I want to really really like it.  I mean, it's in a great location and its got this super cute decor (it essentially looks like a quaint cottage with wooden furniture and other homey design features).  But each time I go, I leave remembering that the food is just never that amazing and there's always a crazy line outside that doesn't make it worth the whole experience. 

Luckily, Virginia and I didn't have to wait too long for a table.  But our table was in the worst place, right next to the kitchen where they were expediting food and every time the waiter came out of the kitchen, I felt like I was going to be burned with a skillet.   But luckily I never did.  The menu here is quite extensive and I'll admit they have a great brunch line-up.  They have what seems like endless egg and griddle options, that's why I always think of this place as a good brunch option.  In an effort to be healthy, I decided to go with the Egg White Scrambled ($13) and Virginia and I shared a side of four cheese grits ($7).  The egg white scrambled was served in their signature trademark mini skillets and came with onions, spinach, mushrooms and American cheese and a side of potatoes.  Honestly, the dish just looked a bit messy and seemed like the kind of scramble I make at home.  Plus there were some weird stems in my food (I want to believe they were stems from some kind of herbs).  The dish was fine but I just wasn't impressed by it.  The grits were a bit under seasoned and weren't very creamy.  In fact they clumped together a bit and it just seemed more like cream of wheat instead of grits.  

Despite all of this, I continue to hold on to faith that this place could still be a decent brunch place.  Maybe the cozy interior got to me, but I still want to really like this place, but for this review, I just can't say that it was a best brunch experience.  Total bill: $25/pp

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: