Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Rabbithole Visited 1/5/2013 4 Forks

Rabbithole 352 Bedford Ave., (between 5th St & 4th St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

I had first heard of Rabbithole when I volunteered at the Williamsburg Food Festival over the summer and had tasted their banana cream pie that was amazingly delicious, so I had mentally put this place on my list of places to check out.  Fast forward almost 5 months later and I finally made it.

The decor is industrial French bistro type, so it's cute but not super pretentious.  I love the fact that they serve breakfast/brunch everyday from 9-5pm.  A lot of places in Williamsburg don't serve brunch until 11AM or even sometimes 1PM (lazy hipsters - kidding, kidding!), so it's nice that there is a place that caters to a slightly earlier crowd.  Believe me, I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination but I also can't sleep in until noon like I used to, so when I get up around 10 ish, I am ready for brunch.  I also loved the fact that they have a solid brunch menu, ranging from a variety of French style omelettes, frittats, french toast, 3 kinds of benedicts, pancakes, and a solid sounding egg sandwich.  I opted for the eggs Norwegian ($11) because I never say no to hollandaise sauce and smoked salmon.  I didn't actually read the description of the dish carefully but if I had, I would have noticed that it's served ON A BUTTERMILK BISCUIT instead of an English muffin.  How decadent is that?  Not only are you dealing with tons of runny yolk and butter in the hollandaise sauce but now you're dealing with more butter with the flaky biscuit.  It's a gluttonous but delicious touch.  So how was the yolk you may ask?  It was perfect.  Finally a place that got the egg right!  The mix of the yolk, salmon, sauce and biscuit was pure brunch goodness.  But honestly, after about 5 or 6 bites I started to feel my heart stop beating for a little bit.  On top of that, the dish is served with a helping of roasted potatoes, which were cooked nice and crispy.  To their credit, they do try to make the dish a bit healthier by also offering it with a side salad.  Honestly, by the time I got to the salad I just couldn't process anything that didn't have butter in it.  And of course, I also had a side order of bacon to really give myself a heart attack.  The bacon was coated with a nice dabble of honey.  The stripes of meat were crispy but still had a sweet chewiness to it. 

I didn't ask if they had the banana cream pie, which was the original reason why I came to here, because but I just didn't have room for it.  But I'm still dreaming of it and hope to come back to order it because it was really damn good.  Also - I'm not a huge coffee drinker but I was strangely really into their coffee here which is always a good thing for a place that serves breakfast all day.  Total bill: $19 with tax and tip.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: