Monday, March 11, 2013

Potlikker Visited 3/10/2013 2 Forks

Potlikker 338 Bedford Ave., (between 4th St & 3rd St), New York, NY 11211



So I had been wanting to try Potlikker since I had heard that it was from the same people of Queens Hideaway in Greenpoint and had read great and unique things about it.  I thought the menu sounded quirky and interesting and invited Janet to my 'hood to try it out. 

I can't quite put my finger on what kind of cuisine they offer here and when we asked our waitress how we should order, she told us to order about 3-4 small plates and to share everything.  So Janet and I followed her instructions and ordered a bunch of things to share.  We ordered the Chicken liver parfait which was served on sourdough french toast points, roasted apple, & pickled beet ($13), the 
Gnocchi Parisienne with cauliflower purée, spiced walnuts, apple-cider pearls, Romanesco cauliflower, celery leaf, & parsley ($18), the Duck confit croquetta with cream-poached kohlrabi, grilled rutabega and pear, and huckleberry bearnaise ($16) and finally the dish that they are well known for, the Dutch pancake with fried oysters, hot pepper jelly, goat cheese, & bacon ($13).   The first two dishes that came out where the dutch pancake and the chicken liver parfait.  Now, to be honest, it's taken me a while to really like chicken liver and what I didn't love about it when I first tried it was that it can be grainy some times, which is a huge turn off.  Luckily,  the chicken liver here was extremely smooth and fluffy, which you would think about be great but it was missing some salt or other flavoring.  It was so light that it didn't taste like chicken liver at all.  I did like that it came on french toast which was a nice unique touch.  It was a nice start to the meal but I wasn't overly impressed with the flavor (or lack there of) of it.  I was particularly excited to try the dutch pancake but when I saw it, I couldn't figure out the dish at all.  It was this thin crepe-like base but then it had all the goat cheese, bacon and hot pepper jelly strewn across it with no real meaning or like they threw all these ingredients on there with their eyes closed.  I honestly just didn't really get this dish and the fried oyster made it even more random.  Next they served the gnocchi and duck confit.  The gnocchi was in this super sweet and very buttery sauce that it was a bit too much for me to deal with as I started to eat it.  But I did think that it was the best of the 4 dishes, although there was no way I could have eaten the whole dish myself.  Lastly, I tried the duck confit and I was disappointed that there were only 2 croquettas to the whole dish.  I was a bit confused with what came with the dish as I'm not sure if I've ever really had kohlrabi or rutabega before and it was just a bit weird to be eating something I wasn't sure of.   The actual croquetta was nicely fried and had a lot of pulled duck meat in there so it was very filling but for $16, it would have been nice to have had more than 2 of them.

At the end of it, I was glad I tried Potlikker but the food was a bit underwhelmed by what I ate.  I do appreciate a good and unique meal but the food here just didn't have any meaning or cohesion to it that I just left feeling confused and disoriented.  Total bill:  $50/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit: Village Voice

No comments: