Monday, June 3, 2013

Boukies Visited 5/31/2013 4.5 Forks

Boukies 29 E 2nd St., (at 1st St), New York, NY 10003

I've said it before but I'll say it again, but Greek food is so underrated.  I usually steer toward Thai/Asian when I go out and lately a bunch of Italian, but really good Greek food ranks right up there in terms of really really delicious food plus most of it is super healthy and good for you.  Lav and I were going to meet up with our friend Prem in the East Village, so I wanted to find a place that was within walking distance to B Bar (yuck), catered to vegetarians and had reservations at the last minute.  Boukies fit all of those requirements.  I should have known that the food would be good because it's from the same people at Pylos which is one of my East Village favorites.

Since it was a brutally hot day, Lav and I started with the Greek Salad ($12) since it would be nice and refreshing.  We also got the Flaounes me Feta kai Meli ($10), the Gigantes Ypirotiki me Spanaki kai Feta ($10), the spanakorizo ($7) and I ordered the Thrimatismeno Arni se Pita ($14).  What do all those words mean?  I'll explain as I describe each dish.  But first the Greek Salad.  It was awesome.  So so fresh with the perfect dressing and the ripest tomatoes I've had in a long time.  It had these fantastic large pieces of feta and crisp slices of cucumber.  It was also gigantic and I could see myself eating it as my main meal for lunch or an early dinner.  It was the perfect salad on a hot day.  Next came the Flaounes dish which was Boukie's signature phyllo flutes and filled with warm feta and drizzled with greek honey and black pepper.  Lav mentioned that I should have taken a bite while it was hot (and she was right) but even though I bit it after it had cooled down a bit, it was still a perfect combination of sweetness from the honey, crispiness from the phyllo dough and tang from the feta.  It was super unique and quite tasty.  The Gigantes was braised giant beans with spinach and feta and paired nicely with the bread we had.  It's totally fine to eat on its own but it almost tasted better as kind of a spread.   The spanakorizo was essentially a side order of Greek pilaf (almost like an orzo) with spinach, feta and lemon.  Again a nice refreshing dish but given how full we were from the other dishes, Lav and I both agreed that if we had to vote one dish off the island, this would probably be it.  Meanwhile, I ordered the Thrimatismeno or pulled lamb sandwiches for myself.  After seeing the size of the salad, I was a bit worried that it was going to be too much food, but it was actually a cute mini pita cut in half and then stuffed with lamb and served with a yogurt dill sauce.  I thought that the lamb was a little bit on the dry side and could have used a bit more flavor to it.  I was constantly dipping it into the yogurt sauce to give it some extra flavor and moisture.  When a lamb sandwich is done right, it usually has a LOT of flavor and moisture and this one didn't quite hit the mark but none the less I still ate the entire dish, so clearly I liked it enough!   Even though we were totally stuffed we always leave room for dessert.  We opted for the Santorini oozing lava cake ($8) which was this moist and decadent chocolate cake with wine soaked sour cherries.  As someone who isn't a huge lover of chocolate, I enjoyed this dessert a lot since it wasn't overly sweet or sugary. 

What I also loved about this place was the service.  I got to the restaurant first and normally most restaurants won't seat you until your whole party is there, but they were kind enough to let me sit at the table and grab some water while I waited.  Plus the waitress was very sweet and gave us a great recommendation on a light summery white wine ($46 for the bottle).  I also loved that it was very reasonably priced with all of the dishes we ordered being under $15.  All in all, it was a fantastic meal and it reminds again how wonderful Greek food is and how I should seek it out more often.  Total bill: $84/pp with tax, tip and lots of wine

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: