Saturday, August 10, 2013

Mulberry and Vine Visited 8/8/2013 4 Forks

Mulberry and Vine  73 Warren St., (between Broadway & Greenwich St), New YorkNY 10007



Unlike my recent experience at Saint Austere, I really wanted to dislike Mulberry and Vine because it's one of those expensive new age food shops in the middle of Tribeca that is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, nut-free, allergy-free, raw, organic, free range, etc, etc - a place that I know is good for you but still drives me crazy with its slightly pretentious attitude.  But ever since our building shut down basically every lunch option within a 5 minute walking distance, I have started to actually venture out past the West Side Highway to get food.   I had walked past this a few weeks ago and made a mental note to stop by later.  

The general decor of this place is a very clean, Hamptons type aesthetic and it just oozes healthiness and mindfulness.   When you first walk in there is an open fridge to the right with a few grab and go type items:  small salads, yogurt, and sandwiches.  One of the things that I saw that made me cringe was a homemade fresh juice that cost $11.  WTF?  That is just ridiculous.  This isn't a sit down restaurant, but more of a cafeteria style place where you order and take the tray with you.  The main concept here is that you choose from a variety of hot and cold dishes.  For $12, you can get 3 cold dishes, for $13 you get 2 cold and 1 hot and for $15 you get 2 hot and 1 cold.   I went with the 2 cold and 1 hot option.  Even though I had kind of a bad attitude going in, I actually had a hard time deciding what to get because when I saw the food in person, it looked really good.  For the cold, they had dishes like beets, quinoa, kale, carrot slaw, farro salad, soba noodles, lentils, eggplant, summer succotash, etc.  I opted for the soba noodles and potato salad with wax beans and for my hot dish I got the chicken enchiladas.  When I first placed my order they asked what kind of greens I wanted and I said arugula but what I didn't know was that it was an extra $1 (of course it was on the menu, but I wish they had mentioned it when they asked me).  Despite that, the food looked really amazing and I was excited to try it.  The soba noodles were delicious with a nice sesame oil dressing, carrots and snow peas and the potato salad tasted as healthy as a mayo based potato salad could taste.  The red skin potatoes were extremely fresh and the wax beans were perfectly crispy with a nice crunch with each bite.  The chicken enchiladas were made with corn tortillas and served with a mildly spicy tomatillo poblano yogurt sauce.  Unlike the ones you get a Tex Mex places these enchiladas weren't oozing with cheese or covered in sauce - it almost tasted air baked.  Who knew that Mexican food could taste good without the oozing cheese or sauce?  Not me.  Even though I was annoyed by the extra charge for the arugula, there was a lot of it and was a healthy nice base for the enchiladas instead of heavy rice and beans.  

I was pleasantly surprised by my meal here and while it was great, it is still hard to justify $16 for lunch on a frequent basis.  But as it gets harder and harder to find good places to eat around work, sometimes a trip to a place like Mulberry and Vine is worth it.  Total bill:  $16

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: