Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sage Visited 8/4/2013 3 Forks

Sage 299-301 Graham Ave., BrooklynNY 11211



I first discovered Sage during Hurricane Sandy when I was going stir crazy and needed to take a walk around the neighborhood.  I normally don't cross over to the other side of Graham Ave, but during that week I decided to take a longer walk and saw this interesting new restaurant with lovely looking outdoor seating.  I noticed that the name was Sage and I kind of assumed that it was an American style bistro, so I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was actually a Thai place.  I was pretty excited by this since I love Thai food and the only place within walking distance is Cheers - which is fine but nothing mind blowing.  I made a mental note to come back and try this place out one day. 

Fast forward to 10 months later and I finally made my way there.   Full disclosure, I did take-out, so my experience is probably a bit different than what it would have been if I had eaten in.  I ordered the house salad ($5) and of course the pad thai with veggie and tofu ($9) - similar to how I judge a good brunch place on their ability to poach an egg properly I judge a Thai place on the most basic of Thai dishes, the pad thai.  My order was ready in 20 minutes which was great because I essentially hung up the phone, checked my email and then walked over and my food was ready.  I tried the salad first and it was actually a great salad for an Asian restaurant (meaning that most Asian countries don't really eat raw vegetables and therefore don't make salads).  The salad consisted of mixed greens, bean sprouts, red onions, and cherry tomatoes and served with sesame lime vinaigrette.  What I really loved was the dressing.  It was light but creamy and totally addictive.  There's really complicated about this salad but I was strangely in love with it.  I wish they offered it in a larger size and I would totally just order the salad on its own as a meal.  On to the pad thai.  I ordered veggie and tofu because I thought it would be healthier for me.  The tofu was the steamed kind which is actually the way I prefer my tofu (a lot of other places use fried tofu) in pad thai.  The downside was that the veggies were all a bit overcooked and a bit soggy.  None of them had that crunch to it.  There was a bunch of bok choy, peppers, onions, and broccoli.  It was nice that there was a lot of veggies but I got tired of them pretty quickly since I wasn't in love with the texture of them.  The pad thai sauce here was pretty subtle and not overwhelming.  I'll be honest, none of the food here was super authentic or of the unique caliber of a Pok Pok but for a quick and easy take out option within walking distance in my hood, it totally gets the job done.  Total bill:  $15

Photo Credit:  Yelp


No comments: