Thursday, August 22, 2013

Toloache Visited 8/20/13 3.5 Forks

Toloache 251 W 50th St (between Broadway & 8th Ave), New YorkNY 10019



When I worked at LOGO several years ago, Toloache had just opened and I remembered it being really good but also expensive for the amount of food I got.  Fast forward 5 years and my experience was still the same.  The reason I even came here in the first place was because Manisha and I were going to a Broadway show and wanted to get something to eat before it started. 

I'm normally not a huge fan of eating in this area (although there are some good places in Hell's Kitchen) but I wasn't about to go to a show without eating.  I came up with a few suggestions and Manisha mentioned that she really liked Mexican food and this place had a 5:30 opening on Open Table, so we gave it a go.  The food here is higher end, sit down type of Mexican place (similar to a Dos Caminos setting).   I wasn't starving since I had a pretty filling lunch earlier in the day so the fact that the portion sizes were small was actually a good thing.  Even the waitress mentioned that the portion sizes here were tiny.  Manisha and I split an order of the traditional guacamole ($13) and I opted for the shrimp quesadilla ($13) and the sopa de tortilla ($9).  The guacamole was fresh (I could see the ladies behind us making it from a huge pile of avocados) with tomato, cilantro, and onion.  But for $13 it really should have been bigger than a small butter ramekin.  Our entree came out quickly there after.  I really appreciated this because we had told the hostess that we had a 7pm show to make and they clearly tried to accommodate us as best they could.  The soup was a tomato and guajilo base served with crispy strips of tortilla, slices of avocado and sprinkled with Chihuahua cheese.  This soup had definite heat to it.  It was like a very spicy tomato soup but I say this in the best way.  The tortilla, avocado and cheese gave it a nice Mexican touch to it.  My quesadilla came out and it looked more like a Mexican pizza than your traditional quesadilla.  It had chopped pieces of shrimp (it almost tasted like buffalo shrimp) with thinly sliced red onion, salsa, Chihuahua cheese, and a pineapple salad on top of a flatbread like base.  Unlike many quesadillas I've had before, it wasn't oozing with cheese and it was open faced.  Despite that, I did enjoy this quesadilla a lot.  The ingredients were high quality, fresh, and well balanced.  But again, size wise this was probably 4-5 bites max, so on a normal day I probably would have been starving after this dish.  Manisha got the tacos and they were also small in size but apparently big on taste.  We were done with our meal just in time for us to walk over to the theater and get seated before the curtain went up.  

All in all, the food here is tasty and better than the run of the mill stuff you would find near Times Square.  It's a great option for pre-theater eating but just don't go on an empty stomach or else you will find yourself probably out another $75-100 on top of the $100+ you spent on the show.  Total bill:  $49/pp with tax and tip and 1 margarita each. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: